Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First swarm and queen includer?  (Read 3524 times)

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
First swarm and queen includer?
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:27:11 pm »
I caught my first swarm Friday. Right after I hosted a bee field trip. Anyway, I caught them in a 10 frame deep with 1 frame of drawn comb, an internal feeder with 1:1 and the rest of the frames were coated plasticell. I put a queen excluder in between the BB and HB. How long should I leave the excluder/includer on? I am thinking to check it this Sat. and see if the old gal is laying and if so, pull the excluder. I did see bees bringing in pollen today.
Thanks for any input.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: First swarm and queen includer?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:55:43 pm »
2-3 days max. You have to remember that a "queen includer" is also a "drone includer" and you might set yourself up for a bout of dysentery if left too long.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:57:33 pm »
If you have a virgin queen she will need to mate in the next two weeks or so... and for that she has to get out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 12:41:41 am »
Hmmm. Didn't think about a virgin queen. I was operating under the assumption that she was the older queen out of one of the hives and that I would keep her penned up until she would for sure stay.  I am thinking now that I may need to go check manana.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 01:25:18 am »
if you brought the swarm in from a distance away, they will probably stay without the 'includer'.  if you feed they are more apt to be happy in their new home, in my experience.  when i use one, i usually only leave it on for 24 hours...unless i forget....which happens....most of the time i forget to put it on....
no more than 3 days max.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 05:13:53 am »
Sounds like they've settled in nicely. I would pull it.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:30:47 pm »
Checked them this morning and found:
Pretty good cluster eating a little nectar out of an area of drawn comb
Queen walking around in the middle of em
1/2 inch of syrup gone from the feeder
They seem to like it.
I was kinda surprised to see them drawing out the plasticell instead of taking to the frame of drawn comb.
Thanks for all the advice y'all.

I was just thinkin..... My wife says that is when I'm most dangerous, that I have a feral hive that was just living in a box. They left and I have quite a bit of natural comb. I was thinking of putting as much of that natural comb into some frames and helping them along with some storage room.
What do y'all think?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:44:17 pm by vmmartin »

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 11:19:17 pm »
Sounds like a good plan to me! New (especially large) swarms will sometimes do that...draw comb instead of using what's already available. I'm not sure if they prefer making new comb for the new crib, or if their honey stomachs are just so full that they feel the need to draw wax. Maybe someone with a little more insight can say. They settle pretty quickly and start using the drawn comb though.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907