Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nyssa honey  (Read 1019 times)

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Nyssa honey
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:25:39 pm »
Nyssa aquatica or biflora, sadly not ogeche.
I am actively seeking an outyard overlooking the tobesofkee swamp south of Macon and I know that there are stands of tupelo in the swamp. Now this is not the Tupelo of legend, that is N. ogeche of extreme south Georgia and North Florida. This is what I know as just tupelo as opposed to N. sylvatica which is a black gum to me.
Now having lived all but a few years of my life, and all of my beekeeping years, above the fall line I have no personal knowledge of the tupelos as honey plants other than the black gum of the ridges is a minor honey plant in the uplands.
I do know and have seen what appears to be pure stands of tupelo in the swamps just below the fall line. Are they a major flow plant or should I look elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:31:17 pm by David McLeod »
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
Re: Nyssa honey
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 01:11:51 am »
We got a load of tupelo here in Texas.. Im tempted to stick some hives on tree climbers in the woods next year.

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
Re: Nyssa honey
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 12:52:36 pm »
I get confused all the time by tulip populars, black gum trees, and black tupilo gum trees. 
How's about posting a picture, or a link from your browser to a picture that we can relate to.

anything