Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SBB help  (Read 2542 times)

Offline doug494

• House Bee
SBB help
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:43:01 pm »
I am in the middle of building my first TTBH.  42" long, ~19" wide and ~10" deep (sized to take standard frames).

I was planning on installing a SBB, and have place a sliding board underneath but open on the ends, or just one end (basically creating a 2-3" high tunnel under the SBB).  I don't like the idea of opening and closing the bottom because it gives them a new environment to get used to, so I was hoping this would give me some ventilation and allow the mites to drop out, but still confine it enough that it can be left like that year round.  (we get in the upper 90's in the summer and down to 0 maybe a little lower in the winter)

Too much work?  Bad idea?

For a SBB to be effective for mite control does the bottom need to be completely open?

If you have a bottom board under a SBB, will the mites just climb back up into the hive?

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
Re: SBB help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:40:59 am »
I build this design for all my hives. I've even used these plans for my Warres. This is the fast and clean method.

http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/bottomboard/bottomboard.htm

You could router the bottom frame of your TTBH, 1/4", down both sides, and slip in two, two feet long bottom boards that meet in the middle. Then you could pull them out, or open them just a little for ventilation. Put your screen above the sliders. I don't really know how much good a screened bottom board does for mites, but for me, they work wonders for ventilation. I pull my sliders out about July first, and don't put them back in til about Sept. 15.
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 01:47:48 am »
By the way, I don't think screens do much for stopping mites. 
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline doug494

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:28:27 am »
Thanks,

Your pic represents what I am attempting.