Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundationless Frames and Wax strips  (Read 11764 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Foundationless Frames and Wax strips
« on: March 17, 2011, 12:09:59 am »
Last year I had almost no harvest and thus almost no wax.  I had a total of 4 hives last year.  This year I will have almost 20 in various places.  I don't have enough wax to "wax in" the starter strip of wax foundation in all the frames for these new hives.

Can I glue it in with wood glue?  Is there a better solution?

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Foundationless Frames and Wax strips
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:17:57 am »
Just glue in a pop sickle stick and call it good. If you can't eat enough pop sickles, find some (wider) tongue depressors.

I do as MB suggests, turn the wedge on edge and staple back on.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:35:28 am »
I haven't had the best results with popsicle sticks - if the bees can choose between a frame with a wax strip and one with a popsicle stick, they choose the wax strip every time.  I guess I would be gluing the popsicle sticks, though, so I could also glue the wax if glue would hold the wax?????

Linda T in Atlanta

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 01:46:01 am »
you could just go buy a block of Paraffin wax.  seems like that would work ok.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:35:34 pm »
I don't use any wax. just glue in the popsicle sticks with titebond III

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 10:55:00 pm »
I use paint stir sticks, but good luck whichever way you go :)
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 09:38:50 am »
I have a couple of microwaveable macaroni cup sized chunks of wax that you are welcome to have. It was from some old foundation that had been sitting in frames for a few years that had been damaged from wax moths. It's not the cleanest in the world, but I know its disease free.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 04:28:52 pm »
Thanks for the offer, how kind!  I have some friends in Atlanta that I will get wax from - offers came after I expressed a need.  You are so sweet to offer from Tennessee.  From a learning point of view, I am very interested in what I would do if I don't have enough, though?

Linda T in ATlanta

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 10:26:20 am »
The "Jumbo craft sticks" would be the ones to use.  They will stick out enough.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:35:35 pm »
Thanks for the offer, how kind!  I have some friends in Atlanta that I will get wax from - offers came after I expressed a need.  You are so sweet to offer from Tennessee.  From a learning point of view, I am very interested in what I would do if I don't have enough, though?

Linda T in ATlanta

As many times that I have referenced your blog looking for something, I figured its the least I could do.

Hear that Hardwood?  I'm Sweet! Now, if someone would just convince my wife of that

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 05:05:44 pm »
You're just a big softie K9 :-D

Scott

(by the way, I need a hundred bucks)
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:17 am »
The "Jumbo craft sticks" would be the ones to use.  They will stick out enough.

Thats what I've been wondering. How far do the stick comb guides need to stick out inch wise. I cut my paint stirrer sticks in half but w/ them glued in the inset of groove they stick out 1/4" or 3/8". I paint melted wax & the verdit is still pending as trying this for first time.

Cheers, David

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 11:30:52 am »
So, what does one do with all of the drawn brood comb that uses the standard frames (purchased less than a year ago)?  The easy answer is to replace it, but I'm cheap and I'd like to recycle them.  Would I just pull the frames, scrape off the comb and pop the foundation out and replace with a starter strip? 

Would it work well to take a utility knife to the frames and cut line, about an inch below but parallel to the top bar?  That would leave a nice starter strip of previously drawn comb for the bees to begin redrawing.  Thoughts?

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 12:46:11 pm »
So, what does one do with all of the drawn brood comb that uses the standard frames (purchased less than a year ago)?  The easy answer is to replace it, but I'm cheap and I'd like to recycle them.  Would I just pull the frames, scrape off the comb and pop the foundation out and replace with a starter strip? 

Would it work well to take a utility knife to the frames and cut line, about an inch below but parallel to the top bar?  That would leave a nice starter strip of previously drawn comb for the bees to begin redrawing.  Thoughts?

Yup, it works. I did it on some old brood comb.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 12:56:55 pm »
You're just a big softie K9 :-D

Scott

(by the way, I need a hundred bucks)

Hey, Im in Tampa right now visiting the wifes grandparents

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 05:05:56 pm »
I would leave one row of cells all the way around when you cut the old comb out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 05:17:54 pm »
I would leave one row of cells all the way around when you cut the old comb out.

I was hoping you'd respond Michael.  Would you mind explaining why you would do it that way?

Also, would you consider slicing up what's left of the foundation/brood comb as starter strips for new frames?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 12:26:45 pm »
>Would you mind explaining why you would do it that way?

Because it's maximum insurance that they will draw it in the frame and that they will attach the sides and bottom when they get there.
-------------------

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 09:29:39 pm »
I would either save the cut out comb as swarm lure to put in a hive for luring a swarm to move in or I would melt it down for the wax.  It's not thin enough to wax into a groove in the top of a frame.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 08:57:20 am »
Glad I found this thread because I have a question. I hived a swarm a week ago tomorrow into a five frame nuc, it was a large swarm and almost to big but it was all I had to hand at the time. Brought it back to the house and fed them a 1:1 syrup and let them be until yesterday when I popped the top and checked for wax. No drawn comb on my foundationless frames. The frames have a wood starter strip top and bottom (3/4 stock poplar ripped down to fit the groove and glued in) and two crimped wires in the middle two holes, no wax as I don't have any. I think I should have at least rubbed a block of wax across the top strip now but hindsght is 20/20.
The ladies were on the limb awhile before I got there (lots of white wax). I'm pretty confident I got the queen and they are as calm as they come but am baffled as to why they are being lazy. I also did a cut out and vacuumed another into a deep and two shallows (strip top and bottom no wire) Sunday and don't know what to expect there either, I did save half a shallow of brood comb so they do have their own comb there. Not sure on the queen on that one but they do have eggs and brood.
Opinions?
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

anything