Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can Blind People Keep Bees?  (Read 5617 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Can Blind People Keep Bees?
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:27:19 pm »
 I received this e-mail today after speaking with this fellow on the phone today. What are your thoughts?

"I spoke with you Thursday morning about wild honey bees in a trailer. I wanted to ask a question. In the future I plan to have a school for blind, deaf, and disabled kids and adults here on this site. I am sure deaf people can be bee handlers, but what are your thoughts about blind kids and adults handling bee hives. Can blind people also rob hives too?"

Do you know someone deaf or blind that keeps bees? Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
Re: Can Blind People Keep Bees?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 01:58:45 pm »
I don't know why they couldn't.  I would be willing to bet they got stung more often, but I could be wrong on that. 

I'm not sure how well they could determine if they were queen right.  But having been around very few blind people in my short life, I would hate to sell them short. 

Everything else they could most likely determine based on weight.  ie, needing an extra super,  they could tell by touch if the honey were capped. 

I'd be willing to give it a try if they had a back up plan for the hive/hives if it didn't work. 
Charla Hinkle

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 02:13:12 pm »
I'm thinking a buddy system would be needed. There are too many visual things to identify on a regular basis:

* Visual clues from activity in front of hive/ground
* Visual disease & pest issues on each frame
* Visual clues on queen/swarm cycles
* Visual clues for robbing
Etc.

One possible fun way to buddy up if no beeks are locally available would be teaching the blind person to manipulate the hives and take photos of hive, ground in front and both sides of frames and sending them to someone to consult with them. Would take some thinking about how to best do that but possible in my estimation.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 02:41:53 pm »
Wow, I never gave it any thought. I suppose the hearing impaired can enjoy beekeeping as much as anyone, as for the visually impaired folks, they would certainly need a buddy and they certainly would enjoy the buzzing  :-D

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 03:02:06 pm »
Just read this the other day;

American Bee Journal, Jan. 1950

WANTED -----!
Professor R.C. Richards, Western Pennsylvania School for the Blind,
201 Bellefield Avenue, Pittsburgh 13, wishes to hear from blind beekeepers,
or from those who know them. He is trying to find occupations for his blind
and partially sighted boys. Professor Richards has kept bees himself.

I wonder if he got any replies ?

Bee_Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline alflyguy

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 03:08:38 pm »
I live in a town with many blind and deaf people. We have the AIDB, Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind, as well as Industries for the Blind and the Helen Keller School in Talladaga. I have learned that blind and deaf people can find a way to do most anything they really want to do.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 03:26:58 pm »
I remember as a kid riding up into the Smokies to get sourwood honey from a blind bee keeper.  It was quite a long time ago, and I don't remember much about it except his house looked like the one Snuffy Smith lives in, his yard was full of bee hives and tall weeds, and he just looked like a regular old man but with his eyes closed.  Funny what you remember from your childhood.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 03:51:20 pm »
I received this e-mail today after speaking with this fellow on the phone today. What are your thoughts?

"I spoke with you Thursday morning about wild honey bees in a trailer. I wanted to ask a question. In the future I plan to have a school for blind, deaf, and disabled kids and adults here on this site. I am sure deaf people can be bee handlers, but what are your thoughts about blind kids and adults handling bee hives. Can blind people also rob hives too?"

Do you know someone deaf or blind that keeps bees? Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated!

...JP

You try it for a few months with your eyes shut and you tell me ?
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 04:24:00 pm »
There's no question that the blind and visually impaired can adapt to sightlessness to perform many tasks that, for sighted people, may seem impossible.  Over my years as a toolmaker, I've experienced many instances of blind and visually impaired machinists who were productive and fullfilled in their work.  However, there were definitely special accomodations that needed to be made in the equipment and work setting.  Buddy system an imperative to start, IMO!

This would be a great project for a club, and a fullfilling experience for any individual who wanted to take it on!

Sign me up for SE Wisconsin!

BB
Some days you just have to learn the hard way!

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 05:02:46 pm »
we all need mentors.  if there were someone to check the hives from time to time for disease, etc.  why not? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 04:49:50 am »
Certainly there are functions they could do fine at.  Some, like finding a queen, would be difficult, but perhaps not impossible.  You could shake the whole hive through an excluder...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 04:57:52 am »
 I saw a clip on You Tube or on t.v. There was a blind  Aussie beekeeper and it was amazing to watch him work his bees. Someone drove him to his hives but once he got them open, he found the queen the use of his hearing. He used his since of touch to find brood. I have to go on the hunt for that, it was something to see.                                         

Marc
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 10:20:26 am »
Yeah, I thought it an interesting topic. I emailed him with my thoughts, which pretty much paralleled everyone else's thoughts on here. Agreed the biggest challenge would be for blind people.

Here's his response:  "It's a way off before I get this school started. I was thinking of teaming blind with deaf persons to work together. I'm sure they will be able to do so much. It won't be as easy as a person with all abilities, but with team work I bet they can do it just as well."

Thanks for your input!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 10:51:18 am »
They make a movie some years back, about the blind guy and a deaf guy that witnesed a murder,
" Hear No Evil - See No Evil " if I remember correctly.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 10:54:05 am »
Yes, blind can keep bees, but some assistance would be best.

See the video on Bryce the blind Aussie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISlNaNn8DkQ
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 06:59:15 pm »
Ok,

I'm not going to complain about anything. 

very cool
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 08:52:00 pm »
Certainly there are functions they could do fine at.  Some, like finding a queen, would be difficult, but perhaps not impossible.  You could shake the whole hive through an excluder...

Blind people use tactile senses much more than sighted individuals as it is, so I would assume they should be able to learn to recognize worker, drone brood, queen cells,(supersedure, swarm cells) queen cups, capped, and uncapped honey, etc...

This subject almost makes me want to try it with my eyes closed...

Almost.

Its amazing what we can do when we decide to. Who would have ever thought, a millionaire blind beekeeper.

...JP

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 08:06:01 am »
We all need mentors and I mentor A 10 old year boy in about 1980 (hearing impaired)  He got lots of help form his mom.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 10:42:22 am »
Thanks for sharing the video!!!
John 3:16

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 11:58:04 am »
do people here know about huber?  some of the most astute (and practically important) observations ever made on honeybees...by a blind man (with assistance).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Huber

deknow

anything