Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flow seems late?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline challenger

• House Bee
Flow seems late?
« on: April 11, 2009, 09:18:57 am »
Here in S.E. NC it seems like a lot of plants are about to pop but there does not seem to be a lot of foraging plants blooming.
I am in the middle of a huge amount of gallberry plus Tulip Poplar which I think come out later in April but there are a ton of wild/volunteer blueberry plants that are just now showing closed blossoms and the farms around here have varieties in full bloom or past. Anyone in the S.E. loading up supers yet?
Thanks
Howard
BTW-I forgot to ask about the desirability of Gallberry honey if anyone knows this honey type I'd appreciate the feedback. I know it would be mixed but I've been told that when it blooms the bees will cover it and it is so abundant here I think it would have to be very high percent Gallberry nectar they get when this plant is blooming.
Beekeeping for Chordoma. All proceeds donated to cancer research

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Flow seems late?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:49:57 am »
Gallberry, in my opinion, is one of the best honeys I have ever eaten. Almost clear, with just a yellow tint, and as mild as any I have ever eaten. While in MS. I could extract a deep super, return it to the hive, and extract it again in 10 days.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 04:46:48 pm »
wow that's strange i'm north of you and my apple trees are just starting to bloom now.  my peach trees have started blooming a few weeks ago.  hope the cold snap didn't kill them.  our populars are about ready to bust so i'm looking for a nice flow in the next couple of weeks.  can't beleave that your so far behind you guys in north carolina are normally a few weeks ahead of us on any kind of major honey flow.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline challenger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 08:35:47 pm »
Yeah-that's part of being in this area. We don't have enough -40 days for apples and the peaches, by and large are sporatic and not nearly popular enough to count on for honey.
Berries and such, along-w-tulip poplar are the "money honey" and I am finding the berries in my local are lagging a bit. We have had perfect rain and all the plants we count on are budded up huge so I am looking for a great crop but, as beekeeping goes, we shall see. If it is a bust it will be my fault not the weather etc.
Howard
Beekeeping for Chordoma. All proceeds donated to cancer research

anything