Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Bee Sting  (Read 3254 times)

Offline boykinspaniel

• Brood
The Bee Sting
« on: February 15, 2007, 05:15:45 pm »
So how do you guys keep from getting stung?  Do you got a suit or does it just not bother you much?  I know once you get a hive set they dont bother you but when you go to steal the honey dont they sting quite a bit?

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: The Bee Sting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 05:48:14 pm »
the bee suit should do the trick, but some just refuse using it, usually the more experienced ones. if you don't want to spend much money-feel it's not neccesary to buy bee suit, don't but at least buy a veil, i mean..you really should buy the veil. instead of the suit, use some thick clothes, but it can get ackward since wearing a thick sweater might not be as pleasent as you think in the summer. for pants, i'd suggest jeans.
i wear a shirt, jeans and a veil oh, and of course the gloves!

Offline boykinspaniel

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 06:05:50 pm »
I was wondering... I thought you boys was just hardcore and charging in with no protection.

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 06:53:56 pm »
LOL...sometimes you feel that way when you forget to zip the veil all the way...  They miss very few opportunities to say hello.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 07:40:47 pm »
Rule #1 If you work with bees you will get stung.

The idea is to keep that to a minimum.

Smoke the bees. Smoke the bees.

Wear light colored clothes. Move slowly and deliberatly. If you swat and freak you aggitate the bees. You get stung.

Don't go into a hive after rain.

Wear a veil.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 08:37:37 pm »
>So how do you guys keep from getting stung?

You don't.  You minimize it.

>  Do you got a suit

Yes, I have a suit.  A jacket.  Some veils.  I wear what is appropriate for the heat and the likelihood of upset bees.

> or does it just not bother you much?

Not usually.  Once in a while you get a sting that really swells, but I haven't had one of those for a couple of years.

> I know once you get a hive set they dont bother you but when you go to steal the honey dont they sting quite a bit?

I don't think I've ever been stung stealing honey.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 10:46:43 pm »
   I wear a veil and a double lined tight stitched cotton shirt that I made.  Double sweat socks and two pair of sweat pants.  I learned last year, and the year before and probably again this year, to wear at least a veil.  Depending on what I'm doing as to whether I wear gloves or not.  For the wife and kids I'm investing in professionally made jackets or suits with zip veils.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 08:04:01 am »
If you haven't had bees you think that the bees will be upset about things that they really don't care about.  The bees are not aware you are taking their honey.  They just know you're messing with the hive.  I've had people comment "won't the bees get upset if you take the queen".  Later today, yes.  Now?  No.  It will take about a hour to figure it out and they won't blame me for it.

What upsets bees is sudden movement.  Your breath. Pops or noises that vibrate the hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 01:58:04 pm »
I read somewhere that it doesn't matter how you remove a stinger, by scraping or pinching.  Thoughts?  I wish they would just make up their minds...
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 02:14:02 pm »
scraping or pinching, as long as it's ASAP!!!!! (As Soon As Possible). but if you think of it, scraping should be better, if you pinch it, you actually squeeze the venom in, now don't ya?

like mr. Bush said, you first have to have bees before you see just how upset they can get. just by looking at a beekeeper who looks swarmed by the bees you get all the wrong impression!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 02:16:06 pm »
It is said that pinching the stinger squeezes more venom out of it. But then I read some where that it is all pumped out with in 20 seconds. So if you haven't gotten it out with in that time I guess it really wouldn't matter. And I would hazard a guess that the majority of the venom is injected with in the first few seconds. So I doubt you would get a whole bunch more by squeezing it. 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 04:10:14 pm »
Yea, I read the exact same thing.  However, I read another study that refuted this, claiming that there was no significant difference between scraping or pinching.  HM  MMMMMDMMM
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 05:56:27 pm »
Hek just pull them out when you have time
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 06:04:55 pm »
yeah well...considering the first available tool is a hive tool or a knife, isn't it easyer to scrape it instead of trying to get a grip with the gloves on...but like it has been said before...doesn't make that of a difference

anything