Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do I shake them? and an ant question  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Rachel

• New Bee
Do I shake them? and an ant question
« on: October 26, 2008, 02:53:51 pm »
When I'm trying to bring the bees down and get them off the empty frames, do i shake them off?  How do I get them off the frames?  I know its a stupid question, I just don't want to hurt them.
Also, since I have been using a hive top feeder (I will switch to a block), I have a sugar ant problem.  Is this a problem for the bees?  They are climbing up nd down the whole hive....yuck.
Rachel

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Do I shake them? and an ant question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 05:53:33 pm »
>When I'm trying to bring the bees down and get them off the empty frames, do i shake them off?

You can if it's good solid comb that the wax isn't too new and the comb isn't too heavy with honey and if it's attached well.  Do a double hard shake.

> How do I get them off the frames?

Brushing is another option.  Use sudden flicks.

>  I know its a stupid question, I just don't want to hurt them.

The concept of getting bees off of combs is all about surprise and force.  It needs to be sudden and hard.  If you go gently you won't get them to let go.  Shaking bees does not hurt them.  Shaking capped queen cells, however, can damage a pupal queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin