Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it "creamed/whipped" or is it "raw and unfiltered"?  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Stone

• House Bee
Is it "creamed/whipped" or is it "raw and unfiltered"?
« on: November 11, 2010, 02:29:34 pm »
I've tasted whipped or creamed honey and I've tasted some "raw and unfiltered" honey and to my untrained taste they are exactly the same - they are creamy white and don't flow.  What's going on here? I'm a second year beek who has only taken cut comb and never put my combs in an extractor.  Is it really true that if you extract and do not filter, your honey turns into cream like this???  I find  this very hard to believe.  I have seen the same story written on many of the brand labels of honey I see on the shelves of the natural food stores - Y.S. and Champlain Valley being two of them.  I've never tasted BeeUnto honey, but their website makes the same claim and has a similar description.  Can someone shed some light on this for me?  Thanks

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Re: Is it "creamed/whipped" or is it "raw and unfiltered"?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 04:01:07 pm »
I'm very New to Bees but I think this will Help some

Tom

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,30519.0.html
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Stone

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 04:59:26 pm »
Yes, I've read this thread.  Thanks. It is useful but really doesn't really answer my central question. 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 06:29:04 pm »
IMO I think creamed honey tastes the same as honey.  My wife on the other hand says there is a big difference in taste.   She loves creamed honey.   When you extract, you can filter.  How fine the filter will determine what gets jarred.  Most people don't want chunks of propolis and wax in the honey.  But it is the honey and your storage that determine when honey crystallizes.   Creamed honey is started with seed creamed honey to get it started.   

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:39:58 pm »
creamed honey is no different tasting than any other honey.  The only difference is that "creamed" honey has had the crystallization controlled so that the crystals are very fine.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:47:48 pm »
Adam is right,  the taste is the same, the texture is what is different.

Larry,   how fast honey crystallizes depends on the nectar source.  Tupelo honey almost never (can't say just never!) crystallizes,  while Golden Rod/Blue strife crystallizes rather quickly.   I'm sure you have plenty of Golden Rod/Blue Strife in Walton.......
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 10:51:30 pm »
Raw and unfiltered means just that.  It could still be liquid or it could have crystallized.

Creamed honey is just crystallized honey, and it might not be raw or unfiltered.    :roll:

To me crystallized honey does tastes stronger if eaten plain.  I don't know why.  It does taste the same in stuff and on toast and what not.
Rick

anything