Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tree Hive Observations Before I set the trap out  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Tree Hive Observations Before I set the trap out
« on: September 17, 2010, 04:03:12 pm »
 Today I started my iddee trap-out on the tree hive but
Yesterday when I was looking at them I noticed a  dozen of
The Monster Bees I say monster but really they where 3 times the size
of all the others and they where Boxy looking so I'm thinking they are drones ??
Now if thats the fact would that mean they are about too swarm Or have
and now the Queen (if) Needs to be bred I hope I didn't lock her in and them out
But the cone is there and I'm leaving it
I will buy a Queen If I don't get her
But what do you think they were doing could they be the unlucky ones
that missed on breeding or did I cut it off and have 2 Hives in one now
I mean 2 queens

Thanks
Tom

Pic's as soon as the batteries charge  
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Tree Hive Observations Before I set the trap out
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:18:01 pm »
If they were drones, they were just hanging out or were run out of the hive.  Anyways, I would not worry about it.  But you are not going to get the queen out if that tree and into your box.  Have you placed a frame of brood in your box yet?

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 07:27:11 pm »
Allen Thanks
No I haven't set Brood but I do have old empty comb in the hive box.
I am going to a bee Meeting tomorrow and will see who I can get some from
This morning is when the trap was put up I have my grandson so I haven't even got over to see
If they are sneaking in anywhere I ran over when he Napped but there were bees everywhere as far as I could
Tell none were getting back in
another thing I have noticed Lots of Pollen on them Yellow and red or Blood Orange and I have fed them on and off
but the last fee days they would not touch the syrup
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Cascadebee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 07:57:20 pm »
The queen is already mated. She produces drones to mate virgin queens from other colonies. Drones fly daily for this purpose.  I'm not sure why the trap was set if you don't have brood? The workers won't stick to your hive without it, meanwhile they exist in a state of confusion and stress.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:08:01 pm »
I was told if you put it in early it dies
too wait 2 days ??

I have a feeder and a little comb in the Hive box
I'm sure I can get brood tomorrow

Thanks Tom
Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:36:56 pm »
>>>>I was told if you put it in early it dies
too wait 2 days ??<<<<

Who told you that? I didn't. I said put eggs in there, so they will be hatching out in a day or two. That's why I stress eggs. They don't die from a slight chill.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:16:39 pm »
Maybe
 I misunderstood this
Anyway I checked tonight right before dark a few bees checking the new box the rest bearding the cone where it meets the tree
I maybe will buy a Nuc tomorrow and some extra Live comb so I can make this work
If they leave tomorrow I guess I'll open the tree back up wait a few weeks and start again
let me know what you think

Tom
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,29656.msg234703.html#msg234703

Make sure there are lots of bees in the trap hive before you ever put a frame of brood in there! I tried it on day 2 of the trap not long ago and there weren't enough bees yet to protect it from the SHB. Wasn't pretty and all the bees I had trapped 'til then absconded. The next one I gave them a grafted queen cell and drawn comb. That one worked great.

Scott
Abraham Lincoln

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 11:37:11 pm »
Iddee...please remember that this is SHB central. You are indeed the trap out master, but here the attempt is a sure failure if you don't have sufficient bees in the bait hive to fend off the beetles. By day two there are usually enough bees to add the brood, anything before them is a sure loss.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:55:53 pm »
Good point, Hardwood. He can still save it, tho. The bees won't leave unless they were in the middle of swarming anyway. They will just hang on the cone and build comb unless they are attracted to the hive. If he puts a frame of eggs in tomorrow, he should still be fine. If there is any comb on the cone, it should be removed when the eggs are placed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 10:18:46 am »
I am going to get the Live Frame today
thanks
Tom
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 11:38:30 pm »
 Update I put Live comb in this last Saturday 18th Trap out cone installed the day before
Today I peaked in the Hive not a full open inspection Just lifted the Lid a few inch's
The bees are all over the top of the Live Frame and 4 or 5 others, its a 10 frame medium Box
 I didn't want to open the Box completely?? Now I wish I did, I'm so new and don't want to rush and make a Mistake
   I put in all frames with waxed Popsicle sticks on top bar only, used NO foundation
The beard that was on the tree, day one and two, was a good size that was with NO LIVE Frames inside
 but there was a fair amount visiting the Trap out box I Guess they where just Sniffing around (lost confusion)
It was Late in the day when I got the Brood frame in the Trap hive. I think I did well but there is still a small beard at the Bottom of the Cone Daily
  I have taken a piece of 1x1 and slide it under the beard and Gently lifted  them from there to the landing board of Trap Box  
Most all will walk in a few will fly and a few fall .
  This beard I speak of is maybe 6 inch's by 2-3 inch's,  Day 1 &2 it was 6 X 10 or bigger
I move the beard every day but they are there every day
Three days ago I brushed them away to see if there was a whole but I don't see anything that looked open?
 I also don't see them moving in a Manner where they are coming and going into the tree hive

I'm asking(guessing) that tomorrow I should open the Hive and look for comb, Queen cells, and just a good overall inspection?
IF I do see Queen Cells Should I move the Box and Put another in its Place OR leave it for a few more days?
I would love to get 2 separate hives from this, Or will I  jeopardize the First hive.
REASON I want 2 is the bees are Gentle. So should I move it tomorrow and put another box in its place
  The Nuc I bought for the Brood frame is a bit aggressive? or maybe they are stressed from the move and the frame being  pulled
This Nuc is only a 3 frame box, that the beek used for Queen Breeding, I checked them today but I'll make another post about them so this post doesn't drift too much

I welcome all you Folks Ideas and direction

Thanks
Tommyt

I WILL TAKE PIC'S tomorrow
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:31:29 am by Tommyt »
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 11:17:11 am »
I could Not wait to Hear from you Folks SO I went over this AM this is what I saw and
Took a Bad Step and got them Pizzed to say the least
I think I'd like to move the Box and Bring it Home
which is Only 100 Feet or so This as I said is a Neighbors Tree
I saw very few bees in the Funnel so I Pulled the Top Hole Barricade off
Nothing flew out but this Opening is 8 inch's above the Cone
I'll go check in a few and see what they are up too

Ashole on the Hand

Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:36:58 pm »
Did you have queen cells? If so, you can remove the box when about 7 frames are covered with bees. Put one or two of the queen cells in the new box and you will have two hives with laying queens in about 2 more weeks.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 09:17:10 am »
Did you have queen cells? If so, you can remove the box when about 7 frames are covered with bees. Put one or two of the queen cells in the new box and you will have two hives with laying queens in about 2 more weeks.

I never got too the Live frame thats the one when I slipped and the hive went crazy.
Should I go in again today?or give them a couple more There is No new comb hat I saw unless
they are building on the other side of the Live comb which would be the frames closer the the entrance
Would that be the way on a Normal Hive Build closer to the entrance ?
On picture 4 from the Bottom 5 frames from there toward the Yellow slide in the entrance
I put the Live one in a little away from the front door.
I'm going to walk over and just look they amaze me.

Thanks
Tommyt
Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 09:42:25 am »
Yes, pull the bait frame and count the queen cells. It is very important to know how many you have before it has been in there 10 days. Also, when you open the top, look between the frames. If the bees are spread out between 6 or 7 frames, you can swap boxes and start another hive if that is what you want to do. You can start the next box with queen cells from the first box and save a week in raising a new queen.

*Shel Silverstein*

anything