Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beehive Orientation - important?  (Read 10751 times)

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
Beehive Orientation - important?
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:48:05 am »
Hello,

I have recently heard the opinion that a beehive should be oriented with the entrance facing Southeast.  I have never heard this before.   I believe that hives should be in as much sun as possible, but hadn't considered orientation. 

Has anyone else heard of this?  Do you consider orientation when placing hives?

Thanks.

love,
ziffa

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Beehive Orientation - important?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:56:52 am »
I face them whatever way is convenient for me and that's in full sun, has a clear flight path, is out of a flood plain, has firm land to drive on at all times, and not in easy public view.  I put them in inward facing "U" clusters of 5 or outward facing clusters of 4 on pallets.  I've heard what you refer to a time or 2 but after watching others and learning from my own experience I don't follow it.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Moots

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 12:00:43 pm »
ziffa,
Yes, I've heard this, I've always heard that facing South, or East are preferrable, I think that's because of them getting the morning Sun.  I think the one thing most people try to avoid is facing them North because of the wind and winter issues.  

I started with mine facing South, added a few more hives and put those facing East, and had a couple more late addtions that I ended up facing North...I'll probably try to reshuffle everything come spring, in the mean time I've  just put a wind block in front of the two Northern facing hives.  

Hope you and your bees are doing well!  :)

Along the lines of what Coates is saying...I'm not convinced it really is that big of an issue, but I do think avoiding facing them North probably has some merit.  If I rearrange, I'll probably end up with half facing East and  half west, just because I think that will be the best layout for where I have my bees.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:45:16 pm by Moots »

Offline charlie b

• House Bee
    • You Tube
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 12:54:05 pm »
I've heard the same. SE. Here's why I am setting mine that way. Up here by Lake Superior, we have a lot of North Easterly's. Great winds off Lake Superior. In the summer, winds from the SW. Also, you get maximum morning sun facing them SE. For what it's worth....

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:59:37 pm »
i would think that the farther north you go the more important it would be to do it.  

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:58:18 pm »
I never face mine south or west in the winter because that is where the really strong winds come from.  The cold winds come out of the North so mine face east and any in the same place year round always face that way.  It is local like most of the rest. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 06:14:27 pm »
The sooner the sun hits the entrance, the sooner they go to work. They all will quit work at the same time. That means south or east facing gives them more work hours, meaning more honey. In winter, they should have the prevailing winds coming from their back.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 06:14:41 pm »
i can't put mine with the entrance to the east because that's where we get our nasty winter wind.  my entrances are west.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 09:11:21 pm »
In my opinion it doesn't matter.

Place them out of all winds in Lee

Place them where the morning mist dissipates early

Do not Place them in dips in the terrain where Cold air collects

If you want to turn nice kind gentel bees into murderous evil killer bees do the opposite of these things I recommend :-D

mvh Edward

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 10:12:37 pm »
I face mine to the south. I place swarm traps facing south. My OB hive is on a turn stile and I keep it in a a north south orientation. I read that feral hives tend to prefer sites with a south facing entrance. That is why I face them south.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 01:39:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies all!  Your answers confirm what I was thinking - like everything else in beekeeping ,  it is site specific. :)

Mine face east and south, some for the prevailing wind and some because that's just how our back yard is oriented to make the most sense for flight paths and the most sun.

I appreciate the back-up in case it comes up in a project I'm working on.

Happy Holidays everyone and thanks again.

Best regards,

ziffa

anything