Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: We have an opportunity  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
We have an opportunity
« on: December 11, 2010, 08:06:08 pm »
We have a friend who has a gigantic barn that has bees within the walls.  I think I am going to take a stab at removing the bees next spring.  This has already been done once before but they returned.  I need all the pointers I can get on doing this within the next thee months.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: We have an opportunity
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:34:53 pm »
Check the Bee Removal threads.
Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 07:51:47 am »
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/board,77.0.html
This is a good place to start. Are you interested in doing a trap out or opening the walls and removing them?
  You may get more answers to removal in this thread.

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 09:11:04 am »
JP the beeman has some good videos of removals.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:52:47 pm »
I think the boards were taken out previously and I am told it will be easier this time.  What I don't know is if the comb was extracted and to what extent if it was.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 11:38:10 pm »
We have a friend who has a gigantic barn that has bees within the walls.  I think I am going to take a stab at removing the bees next spring.  This has already been done once before but they returned.I need all the pointers I can get on doing this within the next thee months.

I doubt "they" returned unless the original colony absconded from wherever the beek who did the original cut out took them, which is highly unlikely. What occurs in cut outs and empty hives for that matter is that a site/cavity once occupied by an active colony is impregnated with pheromones that will attract future swarms. I have seen homes get repeated colonization by swarms year after year in the same cavity until the homeowner eventually seals the cavity for good. This is why I always strongly recommend a total structural seal to deny access to cavities and wall voids. I do this because almost as common is the colony removed and that specific cavity sealed just to have a new swarm the next year a few feet down from the first entering a gap not sealed the first go around.
Even more fun are the multiple colony jobs. I once took four seperate colonies out of one.
Not meaning to be to literal but I try to be very specific with the biology when dealing with customers as it is hard enough doing what I do without having to deal with wives tales and other assorted misinformation. Over half of my job is educating the public.
Without it this barn owner may come to the erroneous conclusion that bees somehow infest a structure like ants or termites. Besides the more you wow them with your knowledge the easier your task will be.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 10:04:02 am »
David,

When I used the term "they returned" I meant that bees came back into the walls not that "they" were the same bees.

Why on earth would I want to eradicate a natural swarm trap?  I know the owner and he is not afraid of the bees.  He knows we are raising bees and has given us the opportunity to expand our hobby.  We do have concerns that this barn is amongst a bean patch.  Which means the bees are likely living off from GMO beans and pesticides.  As much as we hate that the good thing is once the queen is mated she doesn't mate again so our somewhat clean hive should not get contaminated by another hive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 10:45:33 am »
David,

When I used the term "they returned" I meant that bees came back into the walls not that "they" were the same bees.

Why on earth would I want to eradicate a natural swarm trap?  I know the owner and he is not afraid of the bees.  He knows we are raising bees and has given us the opportunity to expand our hobby.  We do have concerns that this barn is amongst a bean patch.  Which means the bees are likely living off from GMO beans and pesticides.  As much as we hate that the good thing is once the queen is mated she doesn't mate again so our somewhat clean hive should not get contaminated by another hive.

I'm sure you know that Drones intermingle with various hives, and are accepted by them.

This kinda blows your last sentence.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 01:53:04 pm »
I'm sure you know that Drones intermingle with various hives, and are accepted by them.

Nope.  I had no idea.  That is the advantage of spilling your guts on a public forum.  If you say something wrong it won't be long before someone corrects you.

Thanks.

Every day I learn.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:10:22 pm »
David,

Well, that's cool if the owner is fine with repeat cut outs. Just be sure that is the case. A natural swarm trap is a fine thing to have. Most of mine though want them gone now and would not even consider a repeat performance as acceptable. But then again I do mostly residential work.
I would still give the barn a once over and if I found areas where future cut outs would do damage, ie voids that would have to be cut open or things disassembled I would let him know but that's just me. It all boils down to what the customers wants and can live with.
Just so you know my field of expertise is permanently resolving wildlife conflict and for most intrusions by wildlife into structures or habitations usually requires permanently sealing them out of structures. Honey bees are but one of over a hundred different species I deal with.

Now here's an idea I plan to experiment with and you mught be able to as well. I'm going to gather materials from the next few cut outs and see if I can use it as a lure in swarm traps here at the house. I've got a piece of 3/8" plywood out in the shed that came off of a cut out in a soffit and it is the right size for a nuc top. I'm going to try it this spring and see what the results are.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 08:14:23 pm »
Definitely check out the videos available in the honeybee removal section.  JP, Hardwood, and others post a bunch of them.  Watch a bunch of them.  You will learn a lot.  Watch how the beeks move, what they are doing with their hands, rubber bands on the frames, how they cut into walls, etc.  It sounds like you have a co-operative owner, so you will probably be able to leave a hive set up there for a day or two to collect stragglers.  Good luck!

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 04:44:17 pm »
I am having a hard time finding that section and the videos.

I read forever the thread on trap outs but no videos.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 05:57:47 pm »
Bee removal is hidden in one of the child forums on the hoe page...third one down if I recall.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 06:21:00 pm »
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,7100.msg42324.html#msg42324

Well after a struggle I found it but it doesn't have one reply to it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 07:09:51 pm »
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 10:21:23 am »
Bee removal is hidden in one of the child forums on the hoe page...third one down if I recall.

Scott

I'm still looking for that page  :evil:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 11:05:28 am »
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/board,77.0.html

It takes a lot of digging to find what you want on it.  You would think there would be a dedicated topic on it but there doesn't seem to be.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it