Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Evodia  (Read 3021 times)

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Evodia
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:50:06 pm »
so i finally planted out my evodia that i started from seed in the unheated greenhouse in january. i got the seed from someone on the beesource board i think. i started 50 seeds and got 5 trees. 1 is pathetic so i didn't plant that one out. anyway i'm concerned about the deer munching them down to stubble. is my concern worth taking preventive action or maybe the deer don't like evodia? anyone know?

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Evodia
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 04:19:21 pm »
Well, rather than find out the hard way I'd protect them until they get big enough to withstand the deer.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 06:13:30 pm »
I read on Dave's Garden Web (I think) - a site where gardeners relate personal experiences with plants in addition to the usual description/care/etc. -- that someone did have a problem with deer munching on the tops. How long ago did you plant them? Most plants will transplant better in the fall in the South. I successfully nurseryed some trees last year that were on sale in the worst of the heat and drought -- kept in pots in a shady spot in a hole in the ground the rest of the summer (watered regularly) and through the winter -- and planted them in early spring. Took them a while to acclimate, but all are well now. So if you just planted them, digging them up and potting them might help, then put deer fencing around them when you plant in the fall. Never grown evodia myself, looks lovely, nice midsummer nectar source.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:41:37 pm »
Well, rather than find out the hard way I'd protect them until they get big enough to withstand the deer.
i agree and i rigged up something i figure will work. i will try to start some more next winter.