Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dead Bees  (Read 1684 times)

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
Dead Bees
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:45:06 pm »
I've been getting my hives ready for winter, and noticed four hives, of twenty,  with a pile of dead bees on the screened bottom. (Pile defined as screen almost completely covered with bodies) I haven't thoroughly then in a while, as they have been bringing in pollen. Could this just be a build up of bodies, and since I run top entrances, maybe they can't easily remove? These hives are weak now so I combined. Tks for advice.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Dead Bees
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:40:09 pm »
When was the last time you checked them?    They might be dead and the bees you see are robbers.   

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:22:25 pm »
Its been a few weeks. I haven't been as diligent as I was in the spring. They are still bringing in pollen, and I always look for "activity" but I haven't developed an eye for robbers yet. Took me a while to get an eye for queen. I was in and out today, because it was cold, but did notice the bottom box was empty on all four hives, so I pulled them. Should I just let nature take it's course this late in the game and consider it a lesson learned, or try to combine them? If robbers, I am wrongfully assuming they already have a home. I'll have to do more reading on it.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:18:40 pm »
Two questions, where are you located and did you do a fall mite treatment?

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:33:57 pm »
I am located in Emporium, Pa.  15834 (North Central Pa.), and I don't use any chemicals for mites. I last hit them with powdered sugar a week ago.

anything