Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chinese Tallow Tree blooming  (Read 7447 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
Re: Chinese Tallow Tree blooming
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 04:03:57 pm »
I found a low branch back in the bushes. Saw a bee checking them out but not a lot of buzzing. The "tassels" on this low branch are about 8" long, and they smell nice. Made me think of Lilacs. Most of the ones in the tree tops are only 5" (near as I can tell) and not hanging down like these.

But you may be right ...this Mexican Palm had more bees on it and it is very windy today with scattered showers.

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 04:45:08 pm »
Here's one really in bloom... Ours are obviously just starting. But you can see how they will really look attractive very, very soon... You should get more bees on them.

What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 05:00:35 pm »
We have 5 acres of land, only 1/2 acre cleared, in the middle of several hundred acres of tree farms and woods. My Mom lived here since the mid 80's and she always claimed it was 10* cooler than in town...so maybe my trees are a bit slower than those in the open. Some are starting to look like your photo, but most are half way in between.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 03:05:52 pm »
There are Honey Bees on my Tallow Tree. This is the first time I have seen a significant number on them....sooooo happy. They are only about 70' from the hive. I spotted another one on the road in...We've had rain showers off and on for the past few days...how does that affect the pollen and nectar.