Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hops (Humulus lupulus) and pest control  (Read 3645 times)

Offline qbert

• New Bee
Hops (Humulus lupulus) and pest control
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:40:16 pm »
I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to use brewing hops for pest control. For instance, I've read about sugar water spray treatments to get bees to groom and in the process shed varroa mites. I'm wondering if a hop tea solution, or even just hops themselves hung in the hive, might  achieve a similar result.

Thanks.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hops (Humulus lupulus) and pest control
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 02:24:39 pm »
It is not poisonous and how it works against pest?

If you look, in summer hop is full of aphids.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline qbert

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:27:45 pm »
Yes, not poisonous (to mites) but neither is sugar. I was just wondering if hops would achieve similar result as sugar (make bees "groom") and give me an alternative means to use some hops that I have grown.  Thanks Finski.

P.S. I have found your comments regarding over wintering hives most helpful.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 12:58:41 pm »
Now that you mention it...my brother has a hop plant for fun, and it is covered with spider mites. :roll:

What makes you bring up the hops?

Powder sugar will knock down mites(the powder interferes with their little footpads) and trigger grooming, but I'm not aware of any studies about spraying sugar water.

There is a treatment called Sucrocide which is some kind of sugar (or derivative) mixed with water and sprayed on the hive bees, but that does something to the mites, not just trigger grooming.

I don't know anything about hops and have doubts that it would work, but it would be worth a try if you are interested.
Rick

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:01:16 pm »
I grow hops as well, I imagine stuffing a lit smoker with the fresh flowers and smoking the bees with it would spread the sticky resin on them.