Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: package transporting  (Read 7852 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: package transporting
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 10:06:24 am »
Hey Ken, isn't the kid supposed to be wearing the protection? He must be the brave one here, 'eh? lol

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 10:36:05 am »
he installed a couple packages before.They are generally calm installing into hive from packages as long as their sugar can is not empty.They were also misted with sugar solution prior to installing.
Taht,and he had a friend to watch that was a little nervous so Just let him wear the suit to  watch.

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 12:46:01 pm »
Not mentioned yet, but packages of bees must be kept out of direct sunlight. 

Sound goofy because bees are in sunlight all day long as a foragers when in a hive, but in a package the dynamics change entirely. When in a package, the dark bulk of bees attract a lot of solar gain (its what keeps them warm and their metabolism quick when they are flying solo). It makes them easy to over heat in cramp quarters like a mailing container.

Another aspect is humidity.
Bee movement consume a lot of energy, and a by-product of that activity is water moisture.
Bees breathe through their body wall through tiny holes.
If these holes are blocked by moisture, its essentially drowning.
If you spray your bees with water or syrup, or if they must be put in a confined area, be sure there is enough air circulation to remove excess moisture. 
I'd also omit spraying the bees if the weather is the least be cold (in transit or at installation (if its cold enough don't worry, the bees won't fly much anyhow)).

My sadist losses have been from cut-outs that took too long and too many bees in too small a box have become too wet from respiration and have cooked and drowned.  These were unavoidable situations where once started had to be completed for the sake of human safety.  Those tragic events now govern how many and how long I box any bees to assure that I act humane.  It also makes one plan to minimize what could be the worse case scenario for each bee removal. 
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 01:00:17 pm »
on the floor behind my seat in the car.  when i pick up my packages, they have 100's of of them in the warehouse.  i had a couple of stragglers on my boxes, but they stayed on the packages and i didn't even know they were there until i got home.  found them before i put my bare hands on them!!  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 01:36:22 pm »
I had the temperature perfect for them, no sun on them and only sprayed them once after a 1 hr drive.

Every detail thought of for the little girls.

My installation was a nightmare though. That's another story.

annette

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 02:12:30 pm »
I guess they are transferred to the distributor in an enclosed trailer....and the driver couldn't care less about them and most if not all if them make it. so maybe the concern about how to transport them is unfounded.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 05:59:18 pm »
My sadist losses have been from cut-outs that took too long and too many bees in too small a box have become too wet from respiration and have cooked and drowned.  These were unavoidable situations where once started had to be completed for the sake of human safety.  Those tragic events now govern how many and how long I box any bees to assure that I act humane.  It also makes one plan to minimize what could be the worse case scenario for each bee removal. 

I have made special hive components for doing cut outs. I place them into a hive body tying any brood comb into frames. This hive body sits on a screened bottom board that allows circulation under it. Then there is a top cover that is screened yet protects from sun and/or rain if needed. When I get them home I can open the bottom board in order to work as normal or I can just sit the hive onto another bottom so I have this one for another removal. Then I can just trade the top for what I normally use. All the trading could be done on the next inspection of the hive. This way I don't  have to disturb/stress them by dumping them into another box after ripping them from their home.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 02:13:30 am »
    Back of the van.  Kids keep watch on those that find a hole and try to tempt them to their finger.  All they want is to get out of the van or try to get back in the package.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 11:17:55 am »
Keep them cool...we keep the A/C on max in the back of our small SUV.
We love the girls...

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 02:07:28 am »
oThe only reasion I said I would have a spray bottle of sugar water was because they consider it a local pick up si they said they might or might not have a sugar can in them. But I have over a 5 hr drive with them in April. I sure wish I could get them earlier though. This sucks.

ANgi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 10:37:35 am »
Oh Angi, just wait, April is just around the corner.  I know it is a long time to wait.  But that is when the weather is really bee friendly.  You have much earlier warm weather than we do, no doubt about that.  But just think.  By the time April comes around, and you have received so much information here from your forum friends, that you will be able to keep you bees even better.  You will have so much information that you have gleaned here.  It will make your keeping bees so much easier and better.  Just keep listening and learning.

By the way, I have been neglectful about getting your propolis ready.  But I have the honey room downstairs with my frames for crushing and straining in to get ready for the crush and strain.  I will be gathering the sticky propolis off them this week and by after the weekend I will be able to send you a big glob through the mail.  Be patient, I have not forgotten about you, just been rather lazy, being caught up in so much stuff with all the kids and the holiday vacation.  They have been off school now for over 2 weeks and are all going back today, yea!!!!!  Happiness to get my routines back in order.  I am a routine-oriented person and so many of these young darlings needing so much attention, it has been busy than blazes.  Have a wonderful, great day, your bees will come and then you will be in a little bit of heaven that you have only dreamed about  ;) :) :) :)  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Gail Di Matteo

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 07:11:16 pm »
I brought home nucs and I had about a 3 hour drive. I put them in my trunk, which was advised against. I had picked up the nucs from a beek club meeting, and all the seasoned beeks said I had nothing to worry about, that the bees in the nuc were all nurse bees; also it was not a big enough 'colony' for them to be aggressive. I stopped at rest area about half way home, to open the trunk and make sure they weren't baking. They did fine; I wasn't even stung installing them.

Next time, they are going in the car with me.

Gail
No good deed goes unpunished.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 07:22:01 am »
>i had a couple of stragglers on my boxes

I've never had less than dozens of stragglers on each box...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything