Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB larvae ejected or just fall out?  (Read 1476 times)

Offline dprater

• House Bee
SHB larvae ejected or just fall out?
« on: July 22, 2013, 06:22:12 am »
I have one hive that has SHBs, well one hive more that others LOL. Discovered them on a sticky board to check for V mites. Very few mites but maybe 25 SHB larvae of all sizes, some very very small.
Are the small ones on there way to the ground to pupae or did they fall out or get kicked out my my bees?
Got a oil tray under this one now. Not even sure the oil kills them, I have watched them crawl right through the oil and fall of the trays, hope they die later.
Dan

Offline Sam page

• Brood
Re: SHB larvae ejected or just fall out?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 07:39:58 am »
ok but ???

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:42:19 pm »
Dan,
Sounds like you definately need the oil trays under your hives. The beetles were on the sticky boards because they were running from the bees. Probably were up on the frames somewhere when they were attacked. I used to see this all the time in my OB hive. I would then pull out the little clean out tray and kill them.
It takes about 30 seconds for a beetle to die once they hit the oil. There spiricals get clogged with oil and they die.
Only the larger worms will leave on their own to burrow in the dirt to pupate. The rest were pulled out of the cells and dropped. If you do not have oil in the tray and the pollen has collected, they will grow in the tray. I have to inspect the trays on a regular basis to kill the developing larva. Caution, If there is only water in the trays (oil was washed out by rain), the larva can grow in that.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:23:40 am »
I did put a oil tray under this hive and caught several yesterday. I also put 6 beetle traps between the frames so maybe I can save this hive. Only draw back to this hive is I saw more that one egg in some of the cells but some were at the very bottom, some with only one egg and some eggs not at the bottom. I do have a new Q or at least I found a open Q cell so maybe I have a Q this is just learning to lay, if not it will be shake out time ;).

Thanks for the replys.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 02:48:09 pm »
I did put a oil tray under this hive and caught several yesterday. I also put 6 beetle traps between the frames so maybe I can save this hive. Only draw back to this hive is I saw more that one egg in some of the cells but some were at the very bottom, some with only one egg and some eggs not at the bottom. I do have a new Q or at least I found a open Q cell so maybe I have a Q this is just learning to lay, if not it will be shake out time ;).

Thanks for the replys.
Give her a chance, this is all new to her also.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin