15 (6.4%)
51-100
8 (3.4%)
101-200
3 (1.3%)
201-500
4 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: hive #'s  (Read 31836 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
hive #'s
« on: November 17, 2006, 08:52:01 pm »
I was wondering how many years you've been keeping bee's as well.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: hive #'s
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:54:17 pm »
Since I was 14-15 so that makes it 33-34 years now, wow - and the most I've never had more than 11 hives.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 09:31:20 am »
this was my first season. i  (well, my dad) bought me 2 bee colonies on 7 frames, then my menthor gave me a swarm which i helped him to catch. after that y friend keeper was kind enough to give me 2 more colonies.

P.S. and i thought i started of "BIG"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 01:17:04 pm »
Counting nucs I suppose I make it over a hundred at times, but I picked 26-50.  I've had them since 1974.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 05:44:28 pm »
I started bekeeping in 1959, the year I turned 11.  You should be able to calculate my experience and age from that.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 10:31:12 am »
i started beekeeping in '06 when i was 55...i am 56 now. i started with 2 hives but i have but one now....and one vacant.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 07:06:12 pm »
I started with my first swarm when I was around 10.  The numbers were always in flux, but in high school, I had 25-30.  In the 35+ years since then, I have had bees on and off.  I split and got up to 23 last summer.  Had to combine a few dinks and overwintering 18. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 02:08:31 am »
I started bekeeping in 1959, the year I turned 11.  You should be able to calculate my experience and age from that.

Brian, good grief, I was just reading your post and I calculated your age, you are a young man, your avitar made me think you were over that hill.  But then that can be a good place.  Doesn't matter, though.  Just thought I would let you know what I perceived.  I have a problem in that I say what I think, sometimes people get annoyed with me.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 10:14:35 pm »
I picked my Avatar because it depicts my physical state not my chronological or mental state.  Mentally The Japanese would say I'm baka, the Latino's--muy loco.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 12:18:52 am »
I picked my Avatar because it depicts my physical state not my chronological or mental state.  Mentally The Japanese would say I'm baka, the Latino's--muy loco.
OK, gotcha, you must have had an accident and have difficulty with movement, presumably bearing a cane.  that is OK, it is amazing how the other senses take over when one or the other is impaired, but..  that is a drag.  It mus be an incredible challenge to work with bees, I take my hat off to you and Brian, carry on.  So, my brother-in-law is Chilean, he speaks Spanish, I will ask him what "muy loco" means.  It almost sounds like crazy, LOL, I know the cattle eat locoweed and it does rather bizarre things to their behaviour.  I know a couple of swear words in Spanish, but that is another story, never to be told here. Ha, ha.   He corrected me when I asked him how to say goodbye, I think that I may have spelled it somewhere in my travels as "chioux", ha, ha, he said absolutely not, Spanish say "chao" the Italia say "chio", or is it the other way around?  ha, ha, life is beautiful.  Have an awesome day...Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 03:38:46 pm »
I liked this poll (with 30 replies so far) it sure proves out that (even though we have a vast selection of beekeepers from all levels, we truly do seem to have the large Backyard Beekeeping Crowd - that surely is great, it means that so many members (many starting out NEXT season and many just Wintering their FIRST season) and from my prospective (a frontyard beekeeper actually) have always had a handful of hives and having the great knowledge of the larger operation beeyard keepers and the literally hundred and even THOUSANDS of combined years of experience make this a great place to start out - even if you are still a season or two from starting.

CONGRATULATIONS on the first harvest -you will surely remember this one for a life time!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 03:41:09 am »
End of July 2005.  I guess that means 16 MONTHS... :)
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 10:38:50 pm »
Just completed Year #4.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 10:36:21 am »
Only a 7 month newbee.. I had 3 hives this year.. looking to expand to at least 10 next year. 

Offline salka

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 07:25:40 pm »
i started in 1999 with 3 hives
today, i have 132 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Offline tennesseebeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 11:19:32 pm »
230 here

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 02:55:41 am »
I would like to hear all about your operation tennesebeeman  8-) beekeeping is the best ;)  :)

Offline tennesseebeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 12:47:22 pm »
huh ?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 05:41:18 pm »
huh what :)

Offline tennesseebeeman

• New Bee