Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Day 3  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Day 3
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:41:01 pm »
 Opened the hives to check the sugar water and pulled a couple frames from each. Hive 1 isn't interested in the food. The first frame I pulled, one side had absolutely nothing but what appeared to be a capped queen cell right in the middle.  It may have been there when the frame was placed but went unnoticed.  There was also no bees on that frame. The second frame had capped brood, open brood, pollen and nectar and a lot of bees, but I wouldn't call it a full frame. I checked one of the new frames, they're building comb down and it looked like there may have been eggs in the bottom of the cells. I took a couple pictures but they were too blurry to really see on the pc.
 I gave the pollen patty to the ants and closed it up. These bees were very calm.

Hive two is drinking from the feeder. When I pulled the inner cover, there was a bit of a roar. I pulled the frame that they started drawing comb on and the comb is now one piece and is filling about 1/3 of the frame. I only saw nectar in it. Only one bee seemed defensive, but no stings. It looked like they were nibbling on the pollen patty. I left 1/4 of it and gave the ants the rest.

I'll check hive 1 in 3 days just to see if those were eggs and if they're larvae. If not, then I may have lost the queen and will consider joining the hives next weekend.

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
Re: Day 3
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:13:53 pm »
Just curious, where are you located? David.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 02:50:15 pm »
Just curious, where are you located? David.
Hopelessly Lost in New England

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 08:21:54 am »
Hopelessly Lost in New England
David...
I say more like Cow Hampshire LOL. :roll:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/