Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: pollen patties  (Read 2009 times)

Offline tincan

• House Bee
pollen patties
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:43:58 pm »
last year I put pollen patties in hives and they never touched them did I feed them wrong or did they not need them         thank mark

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
Re: pollen patties
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:14:51 pm »
I am too new to answer the question, but will be interested in the answer.  I put pollen patties in with my packages, no comb what so ever and syrup. I was expecting them to really dig into it, but they have taken some, but not much, Now we have a lot of flowering trees and plants and I am thinking its time to remove the patties.
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:51:16 pm »
 I put patties on this morning. A couple hours later I had to go back into the hive for something and quite a few bees were returning with pollen. I'll check in a couple days and if they're not messing with them, I'm pulling them off. Wish I put 1/2 a patty on each hive instead of a full one.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:24:07 pm »
Patties work in late winter and very early spring before there is much  blooming.  They like the real stuff better.  Also, patties are a buffet for SHB.   It does not take much for you to lose the hive.   

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:37:12 pm »
>did they not need them 

They did not.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 12:57:52 am »
last year I put pollen patties in hives and they never touched them did I feed them wrong or did they not need them         thank mark

what about the hives --are they well today- :) RDY-B

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 08:49:20 am »
packages coming today things are just starting green up here 150 miles west had 17 inches of snow thursday nicer weather this coming week 60 s and 70 s

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 12:19:29 pm »
packages coming today things are just starting green up here 150 miles west had 17 inches of snow thursday nicer weather this coming week 60 s and 70 s

Amazing transformation in the last 48 hours here. Flowers up and blooming, trees are leafing, neighbors are waxing their car :)

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 02:30:22 pm »
no flowers here yet in wisconsin  but popple trees are starting to leaf out

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 05:50:51 pm »

yes but what about the hives you tried to suplement with patties--did the come through winter
 or are the packages to replace lost hives- 8-) RDY-B

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 05:58:03 pm »
lost all hives last fall but dont know to what thinking maybe pesticides

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 02:12:28 am »
pollen paties are a great tool for me when checking condition and quality of hives in
the fall -i give them all a patty and if the bees dont eat or are slow to take the patty
those are the ones i check-and they are the ones that are queenlees or have pms from varoa
it saves alot of time when there is many hives to check-its a great indicator -if they dont eat the sub they wont make it through winter--- :) RDY-B