Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive ventilation in FL  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
hive ventilation in FL
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:42:21 pm »
I have one hive. I installed a package about 48 days ago. Numbers are increasing. The entrance is 3/8th inch. I have a screened innercover to help keep wax moths out. As we move into the hotter months..would it be OK to put a small piece of wood under the telescoping cover to allow air flow? I lost a hive to wax moths a couple of years ago, and am concerned about creating a larger entrance but with all the cleaners and fanners it is pretty congested on hot days for the foragers coming and going. I use a tie down strap to prevent it being tipped over by animals or hurricanes.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Re: hive ventilation in FL
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 01:10:15 pm »
Carol,

I would think that by now you could open up the entrance more.  I leave mine wide open except in winter.

If you have an active, healthy hive and haven't given them too much space/to many frames to cover, wax moths shouldn't be a problem.  If you give the girls more frames than they can cover, then wax moths can take hold, but that is more likely in old frames where brood had been previously than new foundation. 

I have never had any problem setting the telescoping cover back, or even offsetting supers when temps get real high, as they do here in Oklahoma, in order to increase ventilation.  I also use slatted racks on all my hives as it gives just that little extra space inside the hive for the girls to hang out and not beard on the outsdie.

Also, are you using a screened bottom board?

Linda D
linda d

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 01:16:58 pm »
I'd think you could certainly get away with creating a space there for upper ventilation.  Just make sure it's not enough for bees to get in or out.  Do you have a screened bottom board or solid one?  IF its the solid variety then run out and get a screened bottom board asap.  This will help immensely.  Another idea you may consider is an upper entrance.  I made a spacer out of 2inch x 1/2inch wood.  I just made a square that is the same size as the inner cover then drilled a 3/4 inch hole in the side.  See photo.  The 3/4 inch hole works well since wine corks are 3/4 inch and fit perfectly to close the entrance.  

This allows for air to escape through the top.  It also allows for insulation in the winter - should you need it.  Likely in Fla you don't need too much.

I hope this helps.

David

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:39:56 pm »
I'm in central FL and don't do anything for ventilation. I keep my hives on four way pallets (solid bottoms) and use solid migratory tops. Some pallets have a four inch entrance while others are wide open. The bees deal with it just fine.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:02:09 pm »
we used to put a matchstick between the super and the migratory cover on one corner in the heat of the summer now and then.  my concerns with that now would be more about creating a nice gap for hive beetles to get in.
you probably didn't lose the hive to wax moth.  more likely wax moth finished it off.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 07:59:48 pm »
Where in Fl are you Carol? If you'd go into your profile and add it we wouldn't have to ask :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:26:52 pm »
I'm in central FL and don't do anything for ventilation. I keep my hives on four way pallets (solid bottoms) and use solid migratory tops. Some pallets have a four inch entrance while others are wide open. The bees deal with it just fine.

Scott

Scott,
Nothing for ventilation. Do you have them in full sun? I had screened top and bottoms last year cause I was concerned that the heat combined with the Co2 levels would make them slow to work the upper supers. I guess that was another worry I can lay down. Thanks once again this forum helps make my job easier.
Later,
Ray

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:45:43 am »
Most are in full sun but some yards are a little shady. The hives in full sun definitely have fewer beetles.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:33:46 pm »
Thanks for all the come back...My hive is in sun until about 1530, then it is shaded. The entrance is 3/8 in and I have no reducers now. The hive is only about 50 days old....did I remove the reducers too soon? I thought the entrance was pretty crowded on a hot afternoon. I have a solid bottom board. I do have my inner cover screened so a small piece of wood under the telescoping cover would keep hive beetles and moths out but allow ventilation. I'm just not sure if the hive is strong enough for the extra air flow.

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 04:52:13 pm »
I would open it up more than 3/8in. You should be able to open it up at least half way if not all the way by now. Remember wax moths don't normally kill health hives. They move in after a hive has been weakened by something else first. Robbing should not be that big of a concern anywhere in the state this time of year. Open them up some and let em fly.