Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just started to read, Summit Co, Ohio  (Read 3283 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Just started to read, Summit Co, Ohio
« on: October 13, 2008, 03:45:52 pm »
Greetings!

I've just started to read about bee keeping. My wife and I live on a farm and have thought many summers about getting started into bee keeping. My wife does many things with honey. We are now getting serious about it and have begun the adventure of figuring this out :-)

Jeremy Cowgar
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Just started to read, Summit Co, Ohio
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:20:41 pm »
Read everything you can get your hands on.  :)

Here's a little more:
www.bushfarms.com\bees.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 05:51:05 pm »
Welcome!  Winter is the perfect time for reading!  Go to your local library & get every book on beekeeping.  Then you can read & see all the different methods & ideas noticing some things are constant.  The people here have invaluable info from all their experiences!  They are also fun!  Ask questions & read answers to others questions, you will find answers to questions you havn't even thought of yet! J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 08:59:05 pm »
Hello and Welcome Jeremy
The members here will help answer your question, all you need to do is to ask
I have learn alot of great information here
Johnny

Offline charlescfry

• New Bee
    • Fry Farms
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:21:23 pm »
glad to see another Buckeye here. i am in Seneca county, so if there is something i can do to help you, just let me know.

read all you can and prepare for spring!
==================================
Charles Fry
Amateur Farmer & Entremanure
Fry Farms, Ohio, USA

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:17:08 pm »
Hey Jeremy!
 Welcome to the forums!
 You've come to the right place for bees stuff! Most all Ive learned has been from here, but definitely keep up with reading bee books :)
 Oh yeh,...when you do "Get it figured out" please let us all know!..The more i figure out, the more I find I know less...Strange how it works that way for me!
 And, welcome to a hobby that will change how you see every thing around you! You will be so surprised after just 6 months of reading about bees, how different the world really is around you!
 Then,.....The bees hum...............
 I tell people  the bees tell me secrets...They think I'm a little nutty......Mostly, they tell me about the weather :)...But they also tell you about people, and the environment, and how God see things!
...You'll see.......They'll whisper things in your ears....I'm not sure how it happens, but it does.
 Well, have fun learning and be patient,....spring is just 6 months away!

your friend,
john

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:44:58 am »
Hello and Welcome!

I'm originally from Akron & most of my family is still in the area.
As others have said, read, read and read. Check your local library for books and videos. Read everything at Michael Bush's site. And get involved with a local club. Clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes and are great places to find mentors and get connected with other nearby beeks. Several clubs near you:
http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/Regional%20%26%20County%20Clubs/countyclubs.html

Also, pencil in the first weekend of next March to head down to Wooster to the Tri-County beekeeping meeting. It's billed as the largest bee meeting in the country. Here's the info from last March:
http://beelab.osu.edu/news/2008_TCBA_Participant.pdf

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 10:56:06 am »
Jeremy, welcome to our forum.  You and your Wife have thought many summers about beekeeping, now isn't that just cool that you are more seriously contemplating this...it is wise to study and learn as much as you can about the secret world of the honeybee.  Next spring, I totally encourage you and your Wife to seriously get into the bees.  The enjoyment that you will see and feel, as the honeybees increase the yields of your crop, the pleasure you will find watching and listening to them....as John said, they tell you secrets, hee, hee.  Stick around, here you can tell us your tales, stories and experiences, learn so much, and make some new friends as well.  Have the most wonderful and awesome of these days, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 01:49:35 pm »
Definitely read Michael Bush's web site, (He is the man who has inspired me very much and I follow his example), plus another book that did it for me, "beekeeping for dummies", although the author is coming out with a new and improved version and it will be much better. (not everything is correct in the first book, but it will enlighten you anyway)

Good luck

Annette

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 03:28:45 pm »
hey just south east of you here in Columbiana Cty.  I agree read MB's website. It is very good.  Also the tri-county beekeepers Wooster Oh. meeting is very good.  Good Luck