Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen excluder  (Read 3654 times)

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Queen excluder
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:08:47 pm »
I don't own one of these but since I have trouble finding the queen I think I could use one to seperate her from the workers if I'm doing a split. I've never seen what one looks like(the excluder not the queen)but I imagine that its like an inner cover with hardware cloth inside the frame instead of plywood. What size hardware cloth will workers fit through but not the queen? #6? or should I just buy one? I like building my own stuff. Are plastic ones better than wooden ones?

Offline PerryBee

• New Bee
Re: Queen excluder
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:13:37 pm »
Up here in the great white north the metal ones are $12 the plastic ones around $5.They sort of look like the old refridgerator racks but much tighter grill.

Offline PerryBee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:16:38 pm »
By the way, are you a transit driver? just wondering cause I was for 11 years.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:21:22 pm »
school bus.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 12:24:48 pm »
Randy, that is a good question.  I googled queen excluders (I looked through Michael's site, but nothing jumped out at me) and found this site that offers lots of information on the Q.E.  Good luck, have a fantastic day.  Cindi

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/excludertypes.html
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 12:30:15 pm »
Hey Randy, I also drive a school bus.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline PerryBee

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 12:35:41 pm »
School bus driver,hmmm, summers off,........good fit!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 03:28:39 pm »
Usually you buy an excluder.  It needs great precision to work at it's best.  If you are too poor or too cheap to buy one, #5 hardware cloth will work, but is harder on the bees than a real excluder.

If you only need a temporary one, the plastic ones are cheap.  If you want a permanant one, I like the wood bound ones the best.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 09:31:05 am »
Micheal...  You don't normally use excluders do you..? 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 07:45:34 am »
>You don't normally use excluders do you..?

Not on a normal production hive.  During queen rearing I always have a couple of hives with them.  The breeder hive has one so I can easily find and confine the queen to the Jenter box.  The finisher hives often have one so I can have a queenright finisher.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#excluders
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything