Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I hived my bees (first time)  (Read 3652 times)

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
I hived my bees (first time)
« on: May 11, 2005, 01:53:30 am »
Picked up the bees today in Wilton from Ed Weiss, great guy. I didn't expect bees flying around the car with me on the ride home. I opened the wrong end of the queen cage.  :(  I didn't realize until after the hive was closed up. I put a marshmallow in the hole before any bees escaped. The top of the queen cage was about 1/2 inch above the top of the frames. I hope there is enough room between the top of the queen cage and the feeder to get her out.  I guess all I can do now is wait.

My wife got one in her hair as she was reading me step-by-step instructions from "Beekeeping for Dummies." It took about 4 min of dancing, hair flipping and the occasional scream to get the bee out. It worked out well because my wife, who was a bit hesitant about having the bees, said, "If that bee didn't sting me none of them will." I think she is less worried that the kids will get stung now.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 06:59:36 am »
Good deal lead pipe! It'll get easier from here on out too. In a year you'll laugh at how "stupid" you were over little new things happening in the hive, and how you reacted to them.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 09:25:13 am »
Now is the time that things slow down for you and really get going for them so sit back with a glass of lemonade and relax :D
Ryan Horn

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 03:46:47 pm »
I'm a bit concern about the queen getting out okay. How long should I wait to check on her?

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 08:23:52 pm »
it will take 2-3 days on average. :D
Ryan Horn

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 09:01:04 pm »
Take 2-3 days for what? Her to get out or should I check in 2-3 days? Or should I wait a week like the book says.
Thanks for responding

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 09:05:05 pm »
Wait three days then check, if she's not released by that time you can take a small nail and poke a hole in the candy plug to help them release her. :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 09:05:38 pm »
Like ryan says.... it generally takes 2-3 days for the bees to let the queen out. You can either check in 2-3 days, or wait a week. If you waited a week (which isn't a problem) and she wasn't out by then, you can release her on your own.

Beth

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 09:34:58 pm »
Thanks guys

When I looked at the hive today they were flying around doing orientation flights. I even watched a hornet get the boot by 3 guard bees. I noticed a big log jam at the hives entrance so I adjusted the reducer to the medium sized hole. I will check tomorrow to see if this helps.

manowar422

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 10:44:19 pm »
The top of the queen cage was about 1/2 inch above the top of the frames. I hope there is enough room between the top of the queen cage and the feeder to get her out.

Lead Pipe,
Make sure the workers have access to the wire side of the queen cage
so they can give her what she needs through the wire.

Most folks take out a frame or two and suspend the cage in the space
vacated by the frames.

Once you check in about three days, if shes no longer in the cage, you can
remove the cage and replace the frames.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 09:34:36 pm »
I was able to keep all 10 frames in. :)
Ryan Horn