Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Quantity of a SHB trap question from a new beek.  (Read 2744 times)

Offline JimmyP

• New Bee
Quantity of a SHB trap question from a new beek.
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:41:04 am »
Hello,

I have been considering the "Beetle Blaster" trap for SHB ( a small slotted reservoir filled with mineral oil or cider, placed on top of frames ). This may be a silly question but do I only use one per hive? Do I leave a fresh trap in the hive all year?

Thank you
Jimmy

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Quantity of a SHB trap question from a new beek.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 08:25:09 pm »
Just how many beetles do you want to trap and kill.   I like to use different types and several of each in my hives. 

Offline JimmyP

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:40:06 pm »
Right now I am not sure how many I have. I am opening the hive up this Saturday to take look. If/when I do find them I want them all gone. There is a slight sour smell to the hives. I smell it from the screen bottom board. I have heard it may be related to SHB? I also heard it could be because of a nectar flow? I just got the bees 3 weeks ago, they were 5 frame nucs. I was wondering if these traps stay in the hive all year round as a preliminary strike?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:11:26 pm »
Year round.   When they are tight in the winter cluster, the traps will not do much good, but a good warm day will let them move around.

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:35:38 am »
Right now I am not sure how many I have. I am opening the hive up this Saturday to take look. If/when I do find them I want them all gone. There is a slight sour smell to the hives. I smell it from the screen bottom board. I have heard it may be related to SHB? I also heard it could be because of a nectar flow? I just got the bees 3 weeks ago, they were 5 frame nucs. I was wondering if these traps stay in the hive all year round as a preliminary strike?

Sounds like it may be time to change the oil--assuming you have oil traps under your sbb's.  Funky stuff and dead critters in your pans will start to smell sour eventually.  You can strain out the dead stuff to get a little more life out of the oil, but I don't think the hassle is worth the savings.  I wouldn't even bother with the beetle blasters.  They are a pain to use as they spill and get in the way.  I have some I'll never use again--wanna buy them? ;)
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

anything