Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How cool is this!  (Read 7696 times)

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
How cool is this!
« on: February 18, 2005, 06:48:59 am »
I can't even keep up with the new people from all over the world!

Hi everyone and welcome!
Lesli

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
How cool is this!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 06:54:25 am »
Yeah. I was just thinking they sure are keeping Eivindm busy.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
How cool is this!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 07:16:11 am »
Quote from: Jerrymac
Yeah. I was just thinking they sure are keeping Eivindm busy.

Luckily, most of the work is automated.  Unless new countries are involved, or the name of the location is written in a very cryptic way so the script don't recognize the place (e.g. "Los A., Calef."), it is just a matter of cut and paste into the script.  But it is very fun with new countries, so the extra two minutes it takes is perfectly ok :-)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
How cool is this!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 11:18:24 am »
This is a great feature that I check often - I must admit though, the numbers I tend to quote when telling strangers about the forum often "somehow" inflate themselves just a tad - lol.

True though, the last 2 weeks has been amazing in Growth and I'm baking up the forum nightly - I alternate two backup files: backup 1 for odd number dates and backup 2 for even number dates - that gives us an extra saved file in case one corrupts.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
How cool is this!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 11:40:43 am »
Quote from: eivindm
name of the location is written in a very cryptic way so the script don't recognize the place (e.g. "Los A., Calef.")

How's this.  I probably have the most acurate location defined. :lol:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
How cool is this!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 11:43:24 am »
Quote from: Robo
name of the location is written in a very cryptic way so the script don't recognize the place (e.g. "Los A., Calef.")

How's this.  I probably have the most acurate location defined. :lol:

Yes you have, but I have to make a manual adjustment for you to assign you to the right state, lol :-)  The script don't handle GPS coordinates yet :-)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
How cool is this!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 11:48:39 am »
Quote from: beemaster
that gives us an extra saved file in case one corrupts.

As long as it is a one time corruption or you realize something is causing corrupts within one day. :D

I have seen people with many "extra" "just in case" backups that were all no good.

Not trying to pee on your process, ( I think you are doing a fantastic job) just don't feel over protected.

I realized many thing have to line up to make it a catastophe,  but stranger things have been known to happen.  Feel free to move this post to the Dark side of the Moon   :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
How cool is this!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 11:51:12 am »

Yes you have, but I have to make a manual adjustment for you to assign you to the right state, lol :-)  The script don't handle GPS coordinates yet :-)

Ooops sorry about that, I'll change it back....  I just assumed your script reacted to new members.....Sorry..... :(

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
How cool is this!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 12:10:07 pm »
Quote from: Robo

Ooops sorry about that, I'll change it back....  I just assumed your script reacted to new members.....Sorry..... :(

No problem!  I usually just add the new members to a local list.  But sometimes old members changes their localtion settings, so maybe once a month or once every second month I re-copy the entire list and recompile.  But I let the script warn me about changes to old members.  That way I fixed your GPS coordinates :-)  I have had plannes for a long time to make a 100% automatic script that fetches the member list from the server.  I haven't had time to fix that yet.  Got to finnish my thesis work first :-)

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
How cool is this!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 12:12:33 am »
I was being a bit coy with "Upstate," so I'll come clean. OK, here goes: I live in Hector, NY.

Never heard of it? What a surprise!
Lesli

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
How cool is this!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 01:46:04 pm »
Robo:

At 24megs per file, and all files named the same - they add up quick. I could create 31 different directories and each date f the month overwrite the file from a previous month - but isn't that really the same thing as the way I'm doing it? If a file is currupt, it is currupt and having 2 or 31 or 365, eventually if a problem exists it will bite us in the rear.

At some point we just have to have faith. I don't think it matters how many loterry tickets you hold in your hand for the Mega-Lottery is going to change your chances of winning.

The only proble we had concerning a file was that (and I'm sure THIS is what happened) was that on my work computer, someone accessed our forum and deleted all the forums and then saved the backup file. That is what the server guy thinks and our work multi-user computer using Win2000 has a serious flaw in its data saving ability in multi-user.

When I go to Hotmail for example, I see the saved username and password ****** of the last person in my shop that used hotmail. I even have the same history file in Netscape AND Explorer as EVERYONE else. We all update each others history file - it is a FLAW and the NMCI people who are the owners and operators of the system know it exists.

I was FOOLISH enough to check the REMEMBER ME option in the forum in the work computer and someone went to my website, clicked on the forum, entered as me - saw they had admin powers and started deleteing every freakin thing they could THEN saved it. There was nothing left, but WHAT really crashed the saved file was the template was messed with.

MY PROBLEM was that I hadn't saved a backup on my home computer for about 10 days - and when I tried to upload it, the template part of the file info couldn't justify itself and the server guy needed to dump the old file and reinstall the only backup I had.

I don't think CURRUPTION is a problem - it is idiots whos NECK I would love to ring that caused the problem. I think 2 backups are fine - I could save more, probibly wouldn't hurt, but I think even one would fix the problem as long as the damaged file on the server can be removed by ME or the server guy.

It is having a current backup with all the messages and members that is important - and I'm backing it up every day. I learned a lesson that day, that was NEVER STAY LOGGED IN at work.

Besides that, we have NEVER had an issue of backup files.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
How cool is this!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 01:49:58 pm »

I was FOOLISH enough to check the REMEMBER ME option in the forum in the work computer and someone went to my website, clicked on the forum, entered as me - saw they had admin powers and started deleteing every freakin thing they could THEN saved it. There was nothing left, but WHAT really crashed the saved file was the template was messed with.

Good grief.  What kind of work mates is that??

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
How cool is this!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 01:56:36 pm »
I will say I dislike MOST of my work mates. I can honestly say I like 3, tolerate 3 and wouldn't waste spit on the rest.

This happens I guess when you work around the clock with a small handful of people, year after year. I have had more things stolen over the years than I can count, more things messed with than you could imagine. And more people crying to the boss over issues that matter none.

They pay me $22 an hour to put up with their crap and the other $3.50 an hour to do my job - honestly, I think coworkers are the Devils way to put a roadblock between you and retirement.

I may sound a little bitter - lol but 16 years of them and that's 16 year to many!!!!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
hurray
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 02:01:34 pm »
Maybe we can get enough people as members we can organize saving the Bees if we save the Bees we save the world kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
How cool is this!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 02:25:19 pm »
Robo:

At 24megs per file, and all files named the same - they add up quick. I could create 31 different directories and each date f the month overwrite the file from a previous month - but isn't that really the same thing as the way I'm doing it?

Exactly....   I was not trying to critique your method, as I said before I think you are doing and excellent job with these forums (To be quite honest,  probably a better job than I would :oops: )

Just trying to make the point that in some situations redundancy doesn't buy you anything.  And more importantly you are never completely safe.