Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pig question  (Read 12033 times)

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
Pig question
« on: November 07, 2009, 07:40:13 pm »
I am getting two feeder pigs and am setting up their pen. The site i have chosen has some ivy growing around the fencing and i was wondering if this would be harmful to the pigs? I know they root through everything! Also, in general what do you NOT feed pigs?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Pig question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 08:05:24 pm »
Pigs normally won't eat citrus. About anything else will be fine. They love fermented food and it will help them to grow faster.

Coal, crushed and mixed with their food, is a good natural wormer.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:23:23 am »
Or if you heat with wood a half cup of ashes now and then, in a liquid mixture once every 2 or 3 month till they near 200 pounds. Make sure  you keep the chickens out of the pig pen, if you have any, or you won't have them long. :roll: :)doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 11:10:26 am »
Make sure  you keep the chickens out of the pig pen, if you have any, or you won't have them long. :roll: :)doak

Oh my, are you saying that the chickens will eat the pigs

Or the pigs will eat the chickens, smiling  8-) :shock: ;) :) :)

I have heard that if a human being falls into a pen of pigs, there would be nuthin' left of them.  Did you guys ever hear of that horrible dude that had the pig farm in southern British Columbia (my province in Canada) that did away with about 30 women?  Oops, my bad, off topic, I do really apologize, but just couldn't help myself  :( :shock: :roll:  Have that wonderful, most awesome life, day and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:48:45 pm »
Start another topic please Cindi,  I want to know more about that story of the women and the pigs.  Yiks, pigs eat humans??

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 10:11:43 pm »
Oh Annette, it is a shocking story, I am sure that the world knows, but I will start a topic, make a link or two to some fairly oldish news,  :lol:.  Have a wonderful and most incredible day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bberry

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 09:32:40 pm »
Human feed wasn't on the menu here but i've heard the same, they are meat eaters after all :-X

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 11:21:40 pm »
Beware of that "sow" if she has pigs with her.
We had one of one in a thousand that would not pay any attention about her pigs. I still didn't trust her. They will hurt you. They will eat snakes, chickens etc. They will also be eaten by "humans". :roll:
Do not butcher a female when she is at her time  for breeding. You cannot stand to stay in the house while it cooks, let alone eat it. Could tell some more but will wait till ask. ;)doak

PS I love chitterlings.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 11:23:26 pm »
OH! forgot, they really make good "chicken" sausage. :shock: :roll: :? ;)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 12:41:29 am »
What a disgusting story, Well I asked for it.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:39 am »
Kathy, thanks for putting in the link (and yes, dear, sweet, Annette, you asked for it girl!!!  smiling that big smile).

OK, Doak, I am going to ask.  Tell that story about the sow.....I wanna hear.  If anyone doesn't wanna hear, they don't have to listen, smiling.  I love to hear of stuff, any stuff, be it nice, cool, gorry, horrible, nasty -- that is life -- I wanna know EVERYTHING.....have that most incredibly beautiful and most wonderful day.  (Wonder if a different post should be started....thoughts here...(Doak))  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 12:56:42 pm »
Iddee, you stated pigs don't eat citrus, perhaps not the trees themselves but in Florida they are a real nuisance as they love to eat citrus fruit, but I'm sure you know this. Just wanted to point this out for clarity sakes.

Pigs are omnivores which means they will eat anything that doesn't eat them first, and yes that does include snakes, even such ones as rattlers. Pigs are apparently immune to snake bites, at least from what I've heard.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 12:59:22 pm »
Well that's about it for the sow as far as what she will do if you mess with her piglet's.
As for butchering,  like I said don't do it when she is at the breeding stage, I for get the name used here so bear with me. You can butcher after she is bred, if you don't wait too long. It doesn't affect the meat.

Now as for the male, this is what one should get if they are thinking meat. Get what is called a feeder pig, he has been weaned, wormed and castrated. Which is called barrow.

Some say if the male is not fixed the meat will be strong but eatable.

Never enter a pen with a sow that has pigs.
Any other time pigs/hogs can become quiet docile, but if you let your self get too close then it will have it's affect come "hog killing" time. :'( :'( :'( :'( :)doak

Even when you feed them, stand there and watch them eat. They will take a bite and look up at you, take a good look at this time and you will see they are smiling. :)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 01:40:32 pm »
I love to hunt wild pigs. For meat, young pigs or sows are best. Large boars are not eatable. They have a smell you will never forget. If you do butcher a large boar, the meat will taste ok but the smell when cooked will turn a buzzards stomach!

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 02:58:40 pm »
JP. when I was collecting throw aways from the farmer's market, the pigs would always leave the lemons, grapefruit, and oranges to rot in the pen. They would not eat them. Maybe it was just the pigs I had. I don't know.

You are right about the snakes. Pigs are immune to the venom or know how to kill them without being bit, I don't know which. The old timers used to say the fangs couldn't reach past the fat to get into the blood stream. Maybe just an old wives tale, maybe some truth to it. You decide.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bberry

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 04:14:33 pm »
While this thread got a little off topic (much to my enjoyment however :-D) here are our new piggies, Biscuit and Gravy :evil: They are very happy cleaning up the leftover apples from our trees

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 05:08:31 pm »
So please let us know when you'll be having Biscuits and Gravy. :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 06:48:36 pm »
I know what the black and white one is. What is the white one, Landrace or Yorkshire?
doak

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 07:14:37 pm »
They look delicious! Maybe with one of those apples in their mouths?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything