Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just found out what my packages will cost for 2009  (Read 8632 times)

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
Just found out what my packages will cost for 2009
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:47:54 pm »
Glad I only need two.

The base price of a 3 pound package will be $90.00.  The base price of a 4 pound package will be $105.00.  If you want a marked queen it will cost an additional $2.50.  Shipping cage deposits will continue at $5.00.  When you add all of that together with state sales tax it comes to $102.65 for a three pound package with unmarked queen, $105.36 for a three pound package with a marked queen.  If you don't specify we will assume you want unmarked queens.  A four pound package with tax and shipping cage deposit will come to $118.93 with an unmarked queen and $121.64 with a marked queen

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Just found out what my packages will cost for 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:49:24 pm »
wow....put yourself on the swarm catcher list!!!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:55:09 pm »
why bother? Nucs and a complete deep cost about $100 to $140 respectively from local sources. Look to your local club, or maybe brian Bray wants to sell a nuc or two. Local genetics, local provider, sounds better all around..
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 04:09:38 pm »
OldEnglish:

Find yourself a local beekeeper and beg and nag him to death until he agrees to sell you a couple of nucs or splits.  I only have 2 hives at the moment and have a local friend from my pigeon racing club that I will be buying a couple of splits from in the spring.  That and splitting my 2 hives into a 3rd will bring me up to 5 for next year.  Along with any swarm calls.
If all goes right I should be able to sell some nucs or splits in 2010.  I plan on making 4-6 nucs in the fall of 2009, overwintering them, and selling them in the spring of 2010.  After that I should have 1/2 dozen nucs every spring. All natural, foundationless, medium boxes.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 04:30:49 pm »
Where did you get your prices?

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 04:42:18 pm »
The prices were for the local bee supply store here in Snohomish WA.
I have put a wanted ad on craigslist to see if any local beeks are selling nucs, I will also ask at the club but dont expect any luck there.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 04:45:23 pm »
after almonds in California, loads of hives are available and should make their way to your state. Your club wont have any bees now, but thay always become available when  your season gets under way locally has been my experience. its just not guaranteed, but usually does.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 08:54:08 pm »
Oldenglish,
Give Chef Isaac a call. Not sure how close you are to him, but he may be able to help out with a couple nucs. Tell him I sent you.

http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M25383

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 09:32:54 pm »
Thanks Bjorn, I sent him an email to see what he can do. Hopefully they will be available earlier than the June date on his web site.

update- as I was writing this Isaac was replying to my craigslist ad.

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 01:27:00 am »
 Someone is proud of their packages!!!! That is alot of money to roll the dice on.
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 11:07:05 am »
Trees n' Bees in Auburn, WA is sellin theirs for $80 plus a $5 cage deposit (I keep forgetting to turn mine in).  I keep going back cause they are so close to my house.

That "Sweet As Can Bee Honey Farm" has pretty good prices for Nucs:  5 frame for $90 (you provide the nuc they provide the frames and bees).  I think I might go with these guys this year!  Thanks for the info BjornBee!!!
I also found their direct website at http://sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 11:24:15 am »
Hi Sean!!  Do I see a fieldtrip next spring???  :-D :-D I want to do splits but would like to use bred queens to get my #'s up quickly for the ones going to Take Root Farm. A nuc would be nice but don't know about transferring em to med frames & boxes may be a bit tricky.. :? So is Gracie starting to vibrate with excitement about Christmas????  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 03:28:06 pm »
Good news is I am getting several offers,
Chef Isaac will have Nucs around June (if I can stand to wait that long) he is also talking about setting up a class or two.
My craigslist ad is getting results also, one person in bremerton may have a couple nucs (depending on winter losses) and he is a chemical free operation also got an offer from island apiaries on whidbey island.

By the way Bjorn, chef Isaac says Hi and he misses you. !!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 05:50:49 pm »
I believe Cedar Glen Bees in Standwood (Actually Kayak Point aka Warm Beach) is selling them in the 80 dollar range with 5 dollar deposit.  You might check there.  It would be closer for you than Beez Nees in Snohomish and you can pick from just about any strain, OWC, NWC, Russian, Italian, Cordovan, MH and Buckfast.  They might even be able to get you Caucasians, Starlites, or Midnights.

They usually get their shipments in mid-April to mid-May.  They don't call so you have to watch their website for notification.  If you've placed an order it is 1st come, 1st served for each shipment...you can also buy extra at the time of pickup.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 06:13:13 pm »
Thanks Brian, I will check them out. Beez Neez is really close to home only about 10 minutes but he is getting his packages from california I dont want commercial hand me downs and I would like bees that have spent some time up here already.

On a different note, I always get offers when a) I dont need them or b) I cannot afford them.
I just had a co worker tell me his father has 25 brand new assembled and painted hive bodies with new assembled frames, he was offering them to me for $50 each. I just had a $1500 vet bill and kids are still expecting a visit from santa so I had to decline the offer :'(

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 07:13:41 pm »
Hi Sean!!  Do I see a fieldtrip next spring???  :-D :-D I want to do splits but would like to use bred queens to get my #'s up quickly for the ones going to Take Root Farm. A nuc would be nice but don't know about transferring em to med frames & boxes may be a bit tricky.. :? So is Gracie starting to vibrate with excitement about Christmas????  J

Jody, I think so!!!  I sent Chef Issac a email but haven't heard back yet.  I'm gunna split two of my hives but that wont be enough.  I REALLY want to expand my apiary this coming year.  After loosing 3 hives last year I wanna make sure I have enough to get me through.  I forgot you were using medium frames.  That's a good question to ask Issac.
How did you get the folks at Take Root Farm to let you put bees up there?  I've been asking them for years and they ignore my calls and emails!  BTW, we keep missing the Pierce County Beekeeper's meetings!  We need to start calling each other when they get close!  I just keep forgetting until it's too late!  lol

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 10:12:28 pm »
Guess I'mmmm just special!!!!  Jen was my neighbor here in the "hollow" & I'm a member of the CSA.  They also buy all the eggs I bring in each week & it pays for the feed + food for Rose.  I need more chix though...The people there all want honey....and they want it yesterday!!  Hey, have you seen that flock of white turkeys across the street from Jens?  They were all on the roof of the house the other day!! Should carry a camera all the time, they are really pretty, Cindi would love em.  I do the same thing, I will think about the meeting then it's Tue! New year..better short term memories???  :? J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 10:42:48 pm »
I am getting mine nuc for 75 each

Johnny

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 07:04:01 pm »
Jody, I did see those turkeys up there.  Yesterday they were all perched on their fence in a long line.  Was hilarious!  How many hives are you planning on putting up there?  That's less than a 1/3 mile from my house as the crow flies.  I just hope they wont be competing against my bees for nectar.

I haven't heard back from Chef Issac about his Nucs yet.  This is definitely the way I want to go this coming year.  No more packaged bees for me thank you!  I want Nucs!!!  :-)  I'm saving for 3 nucs now and plan on splitting my 3 hives if they survive the winter.  And I'm doing a cutout in the spring at my church.  A woodpecker put a hole in the steeple and honeybees made a home in there a couple years ago.  We're gunna call the honey from that hive, "Holy Honey!" and sell it as a church fundraiser.  I think I should be able to manage 10 hives!!! 

Jody, we need to mark our calendars and foreheads with the date of the next meeting and actually go!  lol

1reb, $75 for a nuc sounds nice.  Too bad we don't live in Arkansas.  Would save me lots of money.

Sean Kelly

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 10:09:10 pm »
Sean, the email I got from Chef Isaac said they would not know 2009 prices until they see what their winter losses are.