Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The new ones  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
The new ones
« on: July 26, 2008, 09:26:52 pm »
They hatched on the 23rd. I received them on the 25th.
The four gray ones are Lavender Guineas

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: The new ones
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:29:49 pm »
 Hey Jerry!
 They are NICE!!
 But, check this out!....When i saw the fist pic downloading, I thought they were HAMSTERS! :-D

your friend,
john

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 09:33:57 pm »
Yeah the son-in-law is really helpful in the "training how to use his camera" department.  :-D

I was just winging it. So they turned out a little fowl.  :roll:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 12:06:44 am by Jerrymac »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 09:43:34 pm »
About 8 years ago, when we got our baby chicks(theyre gone now) we used to keep them in the house! It was still cold outside and we wanted to keep them warm! We'd let them out to play with the collies! If they pooped, we'd just vacuum it up later :-D (Or let the dogs eat it! :-D)..heh heh heh ....We have pics somewhere of them.
your friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 12:20:58 am »
Guineas, I hope you like the sounds of rusty gate hinges and Aeshaks.  When the males get to bragging nobody can sleep.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 07:54:32 am »
nice guineas. we have but 2 left and they are both males.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 09:28:49 am »
Guineas, I hope you like the sounds of rusty gate hinges and Aeshaks.  When the males get to bragging nobody can sleep.

OH! Now you tell me.  :-D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 11:40:44 am »
The key with guineas is to get them to roost inside and not in the trees.  I have around 20 of them with no issues, well no noise issues anyway, birds of prey is another story.   If you raise them with the chickens,  it makes it easier.  If they are alone or are moved,  keep them locked up in the coop for 30 days so they retrain themselves to the new roost.   Don't let them get in the habit of roosting in the trees or you'll never break it. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 12:11:52 pm »
That is an easy one. There are no trees  :-D

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 01:49:25 am »
The hens are noisy too.  Poor Miss Ginny calls all day, she is the only one left.  She is a lavender also, they are very pretty!  The lady I got her from hatched out some a few weeks ago.  Waiting for them to fledge before getting them, not in the mood for lamps & boxes in the house!  Enjoy your babies!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:12:43 am »
The hens are noisy too. 

Ain't that the truth.   We have a female that my wife has lovingly nicknamed MAO   (Miss Annoying One).   Everybody else will be quite and she will continue "Buck-Wheat"ing for hours :roll:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 12:05:13 pm »
Isn't it amazing how we get so attatched to somethng so annoying & ugly.  Their heads look like the Skexis(sp??) from Dark Crystal & the few long hair dealies on top..  Miss Ginny has made a full recovery from her attack, the scab deals fell off last week..gross & some feathers on her back will never grow back as the skin was totally ripped off but she's still beautiful to me!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 01:05:58 pm »
at one time we had about 50 of them that started out as 7. they perched on the porch that we had on the trailer we used to live in. they were very noisy and messy. a lot of them got picked off by predators. a lot of females were out in the field when the hay was cut and probably made it into some bales and a lot of them got hit in the road.

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 07:37:31 pm »
I love my guineas. They are noisy and obnoxious, but that's what I love about them. Just like goats. They're naughty and ill-behaved, but it gives them personality.

I have/had 7 of them and count them every chance I get, but I haven't seen more than 5 or 6 at a time although I do hear others in the tall grass sometimes. I figure when the snow starts flying they will all start coming home to roost and we'll see if I have 5, 6, 7, or a larger family with new keets.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!