Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help Me Buy My Next Video Camera  (Read 9789 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Help Me Buy My Next Video Camera
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:11:34 pm »
I've been thinking its time to make videos and download them, yes I wanna be like Irwin.  ;)

So what would be a good video camera, easy to use with sound and easy transference?

I have a video camera somewhere around here but its ancient & the technology out today is so much more user friendly, so what you guys say?

Haven't really put a number on what I want to spend but I'm hoping for something decent under the five hundred dollar range.

What y'all say?

Thanks!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Help Me Buy My Next Video Camera
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:02:00 pm »
This is kinda a no brainer for me JP - I got a PURE Ultra HD FLIP CAM for Christmas, it records 2 full hours of HD video (720P) at 30 frames per second. I'll add a few links to show you by different people, but seaching Ultra HD Flip in youtube will do fine.

It is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and there has a "Mino" version that is half as thin, although only has a 1 inch screen, not the 2 inch of the Ultra.

Simplicity... You hit the power button and then the big red button on the back and you are recording, hit it again to stop. A simple up/down, left/right toggle around the red button does most everything from adjusting the volume in playback mode to zooming (not amuch zooming though, 2X digital) and two other simple buttons for managing and deleting files.

The "Flip" part is the cool part, a USB arm extends out for easy insertion to any computer - the cam has builtin software that will load when plugged into any PC, so you have full control over playing and managing files, no disks needed. The cam also has a style 3 HDMI connection (cable not included) to connect directly to a HD TV.

The quality and color reproduction is incredible, even low light is good. It does lack a macro feature, the clearest focus is about 14 inches away.

The best part is the price, it is available around $150 through Amazon, etc. The Ultra is perfect for a shirt pocket, but not a cam for a pants pocket, the Mino is best if you stow it in your pants pocket.

The main image people have with a cam virically styled is cam shake, there is no image stabilizer so walking and filming can require a little learning curve to perfect. I built a small 1 pound steadycam/tripod out of 3/8th black pipe with a 1/4/20 thread bolt which is what tripods use standard - I'll upload an image of that too soon.

But pulling the cam out of your pocket and starting video capture in under 3 seconds is awesome, ad having a full 2 hours of HD (builtin memory, no card slots though for expansion) is fast and you won't miss anything that needs video capture at the quick startup time.

for $150 you cannot touch this cam, you won't worry half as much as you would with an expensive cam.

The software that loads when you plug it ito the PC via USB is more than many cams offer, and it has at least 3 upload direct feature (as in one click to upload to Youtube) making life really easy. It auto-names the files which you then can change at Youtube.

I like it JP, it goes every where I do and I really don't know its on me, weighing in at 7 ouces. Oh,  if it dies while you are filming you simply remove the rechargable battery pack and pop in 2 double As. The normal recharging occurs through the USB connection.

JP, please (for now) search the Ultra HD flip at Youtube, running out of time to post links right now, but I'll add some for you when I get a chance. Hope this helps.

PS... This will be the ONLY video cam I'll have at Bud2, although my soda can styled cam I had last time, although loaded with features that beat out the Flip, cannot compare with image quality or ease of file transfer. The flip is what it is, a pack of cig sized cam that does the job and does it well, no need for Mini-DV tapes, cable, chargers, carrying case and all the stuff you normally drag around.

Lastly, STILL PICS (something I know is important to you) is easy - since it takes videos at 30 FPS in HD, you simply pause the video when watching it and choose capture still image and you have a 1080x720 still - 30 pics per second over a 2 hour video is a lot of still pics :)

Let me know if this helps.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:15:23 pm »
That helps alot John. Amazing how the technology has changed & for the price. My only concern would be close ups, since you say macro is only good up to 14" away. I will definitely check it out John & it does seem quite user friendly, wow it really fits in your pocket huh?

Thanks John!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:46:54 pm »
I got something VERY similar to what john got..Its called a Kodak, Zi8...I saw the morning news on showing both these cameras doing what they do.They are both really good! My son borrows one from his school like what John has. And, as John said, The image stabilization has a lot left to be desired...the trick is, is to not move around when youre shooting...I also have a DGX from last year..Its pretty cool too, but I just figured that this years options were alot more improved./
 Theres tons of HD camcorders out there now which are under 500 bux, But, I've found that the smaller kind works better for me....And, you dont need alotta space for doing youtubes.Most people viewing youtube look for stuff that only takes a few minutes to view anyways...With my new hdcam, like johns, I do alotta small clips then either put them together to make a bigger one, or delete stuff that seems Ive seen over and over in you tube anyways.
With the bigger camcorders, they now have small disks and hardrives instead of tapes which make for better HD movies. You can also get movie editing stuff that you can have a blast making your movies better!
I always am thinking of getting another camcorder(bigger type) but the technology advances sooo fast with these things that in a few weeks, what you just purchased is obsolete or discontinued. Good luck on your choice!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:59:15 pm »
Thanks JBF! Hey on a side note I sure hope you can make it on over to Bud's place the weekend of April 24th. Think you can make it? Would be great to finally meet you!

...JP

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 12:18:06 am »
Probably wont be able to make it.....Then again, I havent ruled it out totally! I never rule anything out anymore as you never know what might or might not happen!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 12:32:07 am »
Probably wont be able to make it.....Then again, I havent ruled it out totally! I never rule anything out anymore as you never know what might or might not happen!
your friend,
john

Well, one of these days we're gonna kidnap you so you won't have any excuses!

Sure hope you can make it Johnny!

...JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 10:56:37 am »
John, I checked out the Pure Ultra and it does look quite user friendly & I do like that it has internal memory, but where do you store your videos?

I will most likely make tons of videos but will need somewhere to store the info, don't wanna take up too much space on my hard drive.

The Ultra does not accept memory cards as you know, so where do you store your videos, on dvd's?

Thanks!

...JP

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 12:22:32 pm »
Down load on to your computer and then down load on to your memory card then wipe it of cdrive :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 12:45:32 pm »
Or, do like I did...I bought an external hardrive.(J )..IOt just pl;ugs into ma usb port ...OOPS...
and you hjave tons a space! I think mines 4 terrabytes!..and, if your house catches fire, you juust pull it out and take it with you!..you can also take it out and stick it into another computer, just like that!

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 05:00:19 pm »
Down load on to your computer and then down load on to your memory card then wipe it of cdrive :-D

Irwin, are you speaking of a memory stick? Perhaps you are speaking of a memory card, wonder how many videos you can put on either one.

I just purchased an 8G memory stick and I could put all of my pictures on it (6G worth) and have 2G left.

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming if you would. I really like the Pure Ultra but need to figure the storage thing out, that's my only concern right now.

...JP

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 11:30:06 pm »
JP:

As mentioned above, a 16gig SDHC card (if your system uses the high capacity cards holds 4 hours of video) but as Johnny mentioned, a terra drive (selling for under $99 now) will hold 50 hour or as in his a 4 terra will hold 200 hours of video and remember that is CHOICE and FINISHED VIDEO, not all the crap we tend to take and just delete.

Transfer time for the two hours of video from the camera is about 10 minutes in any of my laptops, just to give you an idea. True, you can fill up a hard drive pretty quick, but even my little netbook has 250gig which I guess (doing math in my head) would be 12.5 hours minus the stuff in there.

You have to get use to the idea, digital is here to stay, a paradygm shift that may change but never go back and to have HD you need space, that is where savvy investors will put their money, in storage companies for media.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 11:47:55 pm »
Thanks a bunch everyone for your suggestions/advice. I do appreciate it.

...JP

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 08:21:49 pm »
I was looking at reviews, and what I saw looks like Johns Pure is rated the highest in alotta reviews. The price for his I lower than mine also.
Just bust out the credit card and go get it! dont think about it or you might change your mind!
Now, lets see some video!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 01:57:39 pm »
Ok guys, gonna be shoppin' that camera this weekend most likely. Any last suggestions, advice, input gladly welcomed.

I want to video & take pictures with this camera. I would like videos to load quickly.

My current computer has a lot of stuff on it so I like the idea of putting videos on a memory card.

I will be getting a tripod with the purchase of the camera.

My price range now is to the $700.00 range, could be a little more, for something that has the bells and whistles.

I'm looking for ease of use, good zoom mode, something super user friendly.

I know the Kodak JBF has will most likely do everything I'm looking for but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

What y'all say?

...JP

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 11:02:20 pm »
Its 2100 hours now....didja do it?

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 12:04:40 am »
Its 2100 hours now....didja do it?

your friend,
john

Tomorrow may be the day. Now I'm seriously considering purchasing a Mac. Wouldn't have to worry about storage space for a while. Thinking of getting one that has everything in one.

Tomorrow could be the day JBF.

...JP

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 07:30:34 am »
 ;)  :evil:
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 09:33:07 pm »
I decided I will be visiting a camera shop or two this week if I can find the time. I went to Best Buy and got nowhere with their help.

Most of the mini recorders I looked at are plastic junk.

I did however decide I will be going to the Apple store this week and purchase an IMac.

My friend has a Mac Mini or is it Mini Mac? I forget, his Dad has the IMac all in one.

Gonna be throwing some bills out but I've been wanting a Mac for sometime now.

...JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 02:00:08 am »
Well folks I bought a camera, Cannon FS300, even made a video (Irwin) haven't figured out how to make it into a you tube video on my current computer though.

That's ok because I'm getting an Imac, checked it out tonight at the Apple store.

Thing is the sales guy said its possible my new camera is not compatible with the Ivideo program Mac runs. The Cannon specs only mention windows applications.

I will be bringing the camera to the Apple store to see if it is or not compatible with the Mac software.

If it is not, the camera will be going back.

Stay tuned.

...JP

anything