Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from S East NC  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Johnny B

• New Bee
Hello from S East NC
« on: September 22, 2013, 07:43:08 am »
I've been keeping bees for 5 years now. I have six hives and usually gain a couple every year from swarms and splits. I don't treat for mites and I don't argue with people who do. I use oil traps for beetles that were built similar to the West trap. I build most of my own equipment including a bee vac which I like the most of any piece so far. I enjoy keeping bees but will probably keep it to around six to eight hives. More than that and it seems too much like work.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from S East NC
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:09:39 am »
Welcome to the forum Johnny B.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:20:47 am »
Welcome to the forum, Johnny.  Glad to have you here.

Joe

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 10:48:39 am »
Welcome Johnny, what's your method for non treatment?
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline Johnny B

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 05:36:31 pm »
Welcome Johnny, what's your method for non treatment?

I know "they" say that the chemicals used in some treatments leave no or very little residue in the hives. Some say it's naturally occuring chemicals and therefor natural treatments. I'm of a mind that, just like in humans, you can throw balance off using treatments that kill the good and the bad. Granted, if I lost all my colonies this year I wouldn't be late making the house payment. I have mostly ferrel stock. I'm pretty sure I know where they resided before they were in the tree and that was another beekeeper. But they have lived in the tree quite happily for at least three years and throw me at least one swarm a year. I have screened bottom oil traps that do a nice job with the hive beetles. I try to split them at least once in the spring when they look swarmy. I don't buy queens, I let them raise their own. So far so good. They are a little hot in the early spring, ok maybe very hot, but seem to calm down by May and are somewhat gentle. I obviously have lost a few colonies, but no more than anyone else. So I guess if it ain't broke...

Offline Modenacart

• House Bee
Re:
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:54:48 pm »
What part of south eastern NC?  I am in new bern.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 06:26:15 am »
Welcome to the forum Johnny B. I'm with you, feral bees with no treatments. Best way to go.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Johnny B

• New Bee
Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 05:12:19 pm »
What part of south eastern NC?  I am in new bern.

Lumberton

anything