Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: marine varnish for inside hive?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
marine varnish for inside hive?
« on: May 04, 2013, 04:07:47 am »
i bought the beehive building for dumbies. i like most of whats in it. since im not working at that moment
i'd figured id try to buildsome lang hives and frames. i have a couple of KTBH. when i painted those i didnt paint the inside
at all. now for the bottom board and top feeder they suggest useing marine grade varnish inside the hive. the top of the bottom board would be covered in that varnish, as well as the top feeder where thesugar water would go.
is this safe for the bees? i figured id try building a topfeeder, but will spend the few dollors on the frame feeders.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:30:35 am by zzzzzzzzpr »

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
Re: marine varnish for inside hive?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 02:49:56 pm »
Don't paint the inside of any portion (boxes, inner cover, bottom board). The bees will coat the inside with propolis which also acts as an antibacterial.

Welcome to the insanity of bee keeping!
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 03:20:45 pm »
Bees will just polish and coat all the wood on the inside of the hive.   You really just waste your time to paint the inside of a hive.   

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:06:56 pm »
When I used bottom boards I painted the entire thing. Not so that they'd be protected within the hive but when not in use I'd just stack them somewhere and didn't want to worry so much about rot/warping. Never had a problem with latex.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:35:16 pm »
When I used bottom boards

Scott, you don't use bottom boards?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:51:45 am »
I use pallets now.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907