Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bragging moment  (Read 2812 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Bragging moment
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:15:43 am »
While I was hiking in Quebec on vacation, my Metro Atlanta beekeepers' club had its annual picnic and honey contest.  I entered a wax block (at least 1" deep and weighing over a pound) and my light honey into the contest through the president who kindly took my entries to the picnic.

My wax block (that I poured 10 times before I was satisfied with it) won FIRST place!

My three jars of light honey won second place.

I am so pleased with my bees and with my solar wax melter.

Linda T braggin' in Atlanta

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Bragging moment
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 02:06:50 am »
congrats tillie. I am in atlanta till saturday. camping on the jobsite here in dunwoody.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 02:32:08 am »
congratulations Tillie, glad to hear about your success. I bet hat would have even been better if you were there but I bet you still are proud...... congrats!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 06:50:43 am »
wow, really nice to hear that. you sure do have lots of honey theme competitions and stuff. you keep participating in them

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 06:55:55 am »
You've earned the bragging rights Tillie! Congratulations

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 07:50:31 am »
you sure do have lots of honey theme competitions and stuff. you keep participating in them

I have an ulterior motive - in May 2007 I passed the Certified Beekeeper requirements for the Georgia Master Beekeeper program.  Next year in May at Young Harris, I'll try for Journeyman.  The third level is Master Beekeeper.  There are many requirements for Master Beekeeper - among them is that you have to win first or second place for honey, cut comb honey, or beeswax in an authorized contest.   

My Metro Atlanta club has an annual contest - I've actually only entered two competitions - last year my cut comb honey  won second place.  This year I got the two ribbons - one first place for the wax and second for extracted honey.  It probably seems like I've entered a lot of contests because on my blog, I've written over and over about pouring the @$#%#@%$ wax block which took so many tries and about how to bottle honey for a contest.

As they say in my bee club, entering competitions is really about learning how to produce a good product.  For both honey and beeswax, it's about bottling or pouring the wax (in the beeswax area) with as few impurities as possible.  So trying hard to make your honey bottled in a blue ribbon way (haven't done it yet) means that if you were offering it for sale, it would be unquestionable as to its quality.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 08:58:17 am »
Congrads Tillie,

Pretty soon we will coming to you with all our questions.  :-D

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 09:13:47 am »
Nice  :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 10:50:20 am »
HeeHaw Tillie!!!!  Don't that make ya feel just right!!!!  Look at all the hard work you did to produce that beautiful blob of gorgeous wax, and obviously it was, and the honey, yeah!!!!  Keep on keepin' on, you're gonna be the best!!!!  Wait until you become Master Beekeeper, like Brendhan said, we will all be coming to you for advice, yeah!!!  Good going girl!!!!  Best of our beautiful life to live. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything