Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Overwintering Nucs  (Read 1488 times)

Offline RZRBCK BEE

• House Bee
Overwintering Nucs
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:27:23 pm »
Does anyone overwinter nucs in the waxed cardboard nucs like the ones made by Jester? Is it a good idea or should they be kept in wooden nucs because they would probably retain heat much better? Thanks

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Overwintering Nucs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:32:54 pm »
I would think they would be pretty cold.  Would you insulate them some way?  I wouldn't dream of it, but I am at the north edge of the country.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:37:47 pm »
Jester's nucs are coroplast (corrugated plastic). They last a lot longer than the cardboard ones but overheat in the summer. We use them for splitting because they are so easily moved but move the bees into deep 10 framers as soon as we can during the summer. Heat gain is too much so I'd imagine heat loss would be as well.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:34 pm »
Scott and Vance make good points.  If you want to experiment with the cardboard nucs, I would try putting a 1” thick foam shell over them.  That gives you 5 times the insulation value of wood; keeping the heat in during the winter and sun out during the summer.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:41:01 pm »
I know folks who have overwintered in them in central North Carolina.   I would put them in the shade in summer and maybe put some insulation on the top in winter.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh