Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Video on how to do a Cutout  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Video on how to do a Cutout
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:06:00 am »
Local nursery worker had bees near her front door. They were a bit aggressive.

Anyway, I wanted to do a video on how to do a cutout from what I've learned these last 2 years. So this focuses more on the how-to and less on the bees.

VIDEO --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyB7u_e2fRg
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Re: Video on how to do a Cutout
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:48:05 pm »
Thanks for the video. You made it appears simple, but not easy. I've been very reluctant to ever try a cut out. I need to watch a few more videos, before I ever give it a try.  How do you discuss the damage created by a cut out with the property owner?  It seems like a touchy issue.

Regards,
Tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:03:46 am »
Pretty cool, but you need to recruit a camera man to record the action in progress.  Maybe with a nice long zoom lens. :-D
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:29:18 am »
Great videos... I will be harvesting my first batch of honey just like you did. 
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

bigbearomaha

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 11:08:01 pm »
You are "outofabluesky" are you?  I have watched all of your videos and even subscribed to your youtube channel.

You're videos are a lot of fun, I'll give you that.  I particularly liked your top bar hive videos and making top bars.

The monster hive in the old house 'closet was wild.  I always look forward to seeing videos like the one above from you.

Good job.

Big Bear

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 11:34:48 am »
Yes, I am outofabluesky. I'm actually known far more for my contributions to meteorite science than beekeeping. But my bee videos dominate my youtube site.

-mt

You are "outofabluesky" are you?  I have watched all of your videos and even subscribed to your youtube channel.

You're videos are a lot of fun, I'll give you that.  I particularly liked your top bar hive videos and making top bars.

The monster hive in the old house 'closet was wild.  I always look forward to seeing videos like the one above from you.

Good job.

Big Bear
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 12:13:33 pm »
Great video ,thanks for sharing . I got to rest now ,watching all that work wore me out,  :)

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 05:08:24 pm »
Good vid there DOG thanks.

Kind of hard to direct, act and film all at the same time huh.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 11:28:38 am »
How do you communicate to the property owner what is about to take place and what his house/barn or shed will look like when your done?  Do the property owners understand that when your done, there will be a nice hole in his/her building?

Regards,
tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 12:01:31 pm »
How do you communicate to the property owner what is about to take place and what his house/barn or shed will look like when your done?  Do the property owners understand that when your done, there will be a nice hole in his/her building?

Regards,
tucker1

Yea, I say "I'm going to have to do some deconstruction to get to the bees. You'll be responsible for repairing the hole I'll be forced to make" That is the biggest concept to confer. The second biggie is "They will be back unless you seal this up tight."

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 05:04:55 pm »
MT

Great video.  I've done cut outs but learn a few great things on your video.  I moved from Georgetown, TX in '05 and before that live in Austin until '96.  Didn't have bees while I was there though.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 12:52:50 am »
Great video Dog!  Learned a couple of good tips like the nifty blue gloves for better dexterity.  I need to get some.

I empathize with you on the tip of nose sting.  My first sting as a beek was the same situation - doing a cutout and my veil was falling back and nose was exposed.  So I was yelling a warning to you on the video, but it was too late!  :-D
So now I wear a baseball cap under my veil and the bill keeps the veil away from the face.

Thanks for the tutorial!

John

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 04:10:30 am »
I enjoyed the video, and even through the veil you were starting to show a bit of a W.C. Fields look from that sting.
be happy and make others happy.

anything