Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do I rid Termites near Hive Stands  (Read 5514 times)

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
How do I rid Termites near Hive Stands
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:27:30 am »
Just had week of upper 70's drying weather here after wet December & week into January. To cut grass this MLK day, I removed a portable pallet wind barrier wall infront of my hives & noticed termites crawling round the pallets & around mudtunnel on cinder block used to hold up pallets. Hoping the termites didn't spread to hive stand but need to erradicate em in ground w/o poisoning the soil. I tried to find a link in archives but link was dead. Any suggestions? Would any herbal plants grown deter or increasing acid/alkaline or certain minerals in soil? Have ant moats on legs so hope the termites haven't swarmed to the stand yet. 
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
Re: How do I rid Termites near Hive Stands
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 05:53:43 am »
Does diatomaceous earth work on those termites I'm seeing on soil? Anyone tried? What about those cans that spray & freeze gum & what not?  Found this site somewhat informative :

http://www.whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/mulchtermite.html

Mentions some kinda bait, insect growth regulator that the foragers take to queen & boric acid. Checking more on this manana.

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 12:12:31 pm »
Hey Apis M,

I had subterranean termites eating my house in Memphis.  I called Terminix :( (I did hate the idea of chemicals though)

Any wood stakes in the ground there quickly get attacked by the termites.  That is the idea behind the baiting system.  They go after the bait sticks stuck in the ground, the inhibitor chemical is taken back to the nest and eventually the termites die.  Or so they want us to believe…..The baiting method was popular in Memphis, but I never tried it.

As long as the wood is above ground, dry, and sitting on something dry, the termites don’t heavily attack it.  They need cover and dampness to do their work.

Diatomaceous earth sounds like an interesting idea.  My guess is they won’t crawl thru DE, but if they can get access to your wood underground, they won’t have to.  I can’t imagine DE washed into the ground would be effective, but I have never used it.

I really question if there is any way to completely get rid of termites in climates where they are prevalent.  It’s like trying to eliminate misquotes. 

Honestly, it didn’t lose much sleep over termites if my wood was dry and setting on something dry.  If I saw tunnels to the wood, I kick them open.  Even if a few termites do attempt to eat dry wood, it takes them a long time to do much damage.  Damp wood is the real danger, they eat that stuff like candy.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 12:22:53 pm »
Edit that…..it’s like trying to get rid of Misquitoes not “mis-quotes”   :-D

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 12:25:50 pm »
Edit that…..it’s like trying to get rid of Mosquitoes not “mIsquitoes”

Man I wish I could spell….   :(

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 01:18:52 pm »
Most of the termite bait systems I've seen of late are not poisons that are brought back from the field to the colony but rather kill the scouts on the spot. Eventually all scouts die and are not able to translate the location of the food source back to the colony which basically starves them.

Scott

Apis, if you know where the colony is located a bath of boiling water every few days for a month or so is enough to evenyually weaken the numbers to where the colony collapses.
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 02:01:58 pm »
Even if a few termites do attempt to eat dry wood, it takes them a long time to do much damage.  Damp wood is the real danger, they eat that stuff like candy.

I am not too sure about that. Carpenter ants won't touch dry wood but termites with chew it to pieces.  All you have to do is prevent the termite from building their mud channel connecting the wood source to the ground.  A termite shield is nothing more than a piece of tin bent out at a 45 degree angle away from a foundation.  They can get around the sharp edge of the tin.

So essentially if you blocked up your hive in all four corners with say a half a brick and put a small pie tin (tart size) upside down between the brick and the hive they can't build that duct that they need to get back to the ground once a day.  I doubt if the termites would build an unsupported duct from the ground to the bottom board to bypass the shield because that takes a huge colony.  You can always whack it down if you see that happening and then they will give up trying and go somewhere else.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 02:16:45 pm »
AceBird, that sounds like a great plan! 

I’ve never had to keep the buggers out of a hive, just a house  :-D

If you don’t have small pie tins, how about using inverted coffee cans over AceBirds hive stand bricks?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 02:43:23 pm »
I don't believe where you are located there are Formosan termites such as we have here, they are a species you don't want to deal with. You likely have some type of subterranean variety. Here we refer to our eastern subterranean species (which there are several sub species) as regular or native subterranean termites.

The regular ones are wimpy compared to the Formosan and I've seen instances where simply breaking mud tunnels deterred them in certain areas for weeks, even months at a time.

If the colony/colonies are advanced they of course will be more determined to seek out food sources (anything containing cellulose).

Termite shields are not a deterrent to subterranean termites, they will just build their tunnels over and around them. Their intended purpose (shields) is to force termites to the exterior of piers/chain walls, etc... and in so doing you are able to view such erected mud tunnels. Without shields termites are able to go through the center of any non solid pier or chain wall.

You can try breaking tunnels and see how that deters them or even move your hives to a drier area.

Bora-care is about the best borate treatment you can find on the market, hands down. You paint it on or spray it on "raw wood" only. Its sold by the gallon and you dilute it as much as you need to suit your needs. A 4 x 1 mix is not unreasonable to achieve control.

If the situation is advanced and you cannot move your hives a liquid treatment with Termidor is your best solution. Its long lasting (13-14 yrs) and doesn't leech from the soil. You will need to apply it using a trench and treat method, simply spraying the top of the soil does no good at all.

I have been a licensed PCO for 21 yrs.

Hope this helps.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 03:27:05 pm »
Edit that…..it’s like trying to get rid of Misquitoes not “mis-quotes”   :-D

And here I thought you were referring to the mainstream media!!  Just as appropriate...eliminating misquotes...they're about as bad as termites..... :-D
Rick

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 03:57:02 pm »
Termite shields are not a deterrent to subterranean termites,

Maybe so but the last thing I would do is use poison and then even think about eating the honey.  I would sooner electrify the shield and sap them when they cross over.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Keskin

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 08:59:14 pm »
Hi,
We haven't termites but we have red ants in Turkey.
We are painting all hive stands about ten inches from the ground with used motor oils. It is very useful, radical and cheap.
In fact, I don't know USA or state laws about using "burned" motor oils. It can be forbidden...
How many times I’ve wonder
and it still comes out the same.
                                              Conway Twitty

No matter how you look at it or think of it
You see it’s life and we just got to play the game.
                                              Sam Moore

For curious people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAA_LUCb0QE&feature=related

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 06:12:24 am »
Hi,
We haven't termites but we have red ants in Turkey.
We are painting all hive stands about ten inches from the ground with used motor oils. It is very useful, radical and cheap.
In fact, I don't know USA or state laws about using "burned" motor oils. It can be forbidden...

I have run into many people here where I live over the years that believe pouring used motor oil against their home will keep termites at bay.

It makes the dirt against the home very hard, like asphalt and termites go right through it, not to mention the legalities of it getting into the water table.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 09:47:19 am »
Yikes, how about the bees?  The oil is bad enough but the additives are carcinogens.  You want to poison the bees and then yourself; or do you sell the honey to China?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 08:36:13 pm »
Years ago, I remember them putting oil on the dirt roads to keep the dust down. 

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 10:29:33 pm »
Thanks for all your suggestions beekeeps in the field. Was poking around during Friday night at developin apiary & the now bribe pallets I put to side still has the termites & also in the mulch I put down to smother weeds under my hive stands. Seen these adult & juvinille reptiles movin round by the pallets:

San Diego Alligator Lizard

I hear these alligator lizards eat many insects bad for the garden & help keep in check so treating w/ boric or other chems is out. Instead I placed hive stand legs in moats of mineral( careful on skin contact draws out oil soluble vitamins D,A,E) /vege oil as ants also an issue when heats up here. Need to make a rock or wood pile for cover for reptiles & encourage alligator lizards, as cats & other wildlife always reducing numbers. Its the only lizard here that's active at 50 deg temps.

Bluebee not ready to call Terminix but glad they saved your castle. Was thinking outloud on the DE but your right on w/ subterranean termites wouldn't be effective.

Yes Keskin use gummy sticky "Tanglefoot" when ants are real bad here, used motor oil frowned upon here as water very limited commodity. Lucky you, no termites in Turkey.

JP no Formosan termites here in valley southern California, but drywood & other subterraneans, will get pics/ video when out in daylight. Dampwood are by coast moreso I'm told in beach houses.  Thanks for recommends on your arsenal & Termidor, could come it handy if termites overtake.

Hardwood what bait systems are those & do predators of termites become effected by them? The boiling water will be on pit fire w/ pot o' black tea when nest is scoped out :).

anything