Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to do the crush and strain method in getting honey  (Read 1897 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
How to do the crush and strain method in getting honey
« on: June 29, 2007, 12:33:14 am »
Hello

I have read some information on the crush and strain method but i am still at a lost i even tried to watch a homemade vedieo on it but it would not show for me i am going to finally collect my two supers of capped honey this sunday but i want to know more on the crush and strain method of getting honey out of the comb. I have cheese cloth and several tin pails ready but how do i go about the crushing please can some one give me some great advice and a step by step guide on doing this.

Tom :-\

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline deantn

• House Bee
Re: How to do the crush and strain method in getting honey
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 08:56:56 am »
Haven't done any crush and strain since the 70's when I didn't have extractor but DON'T use cheesecloth, leaves very fine particles in the honey.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How to do the crush and strain method in getting honey
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 10:03:03 pm »
You need a strainer.  I like a double bucket strainer with either screen wire or nylon cloth for a "filter".

Crush it however you like.  I cut out the combs into the strainer and mash them with my hands into little balls of wax.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin