Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Well behaved bees  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Spear

• House Bee
Well behaved bees
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:47:21 pm »
One of the many things that stood in my way of becoming a beekeeper years ago was the fear of having huge clouds of bees flying around everywhere and bothering everybody in the area. In fact I saw just this at a friends house - they kept a few hives in the backyard and it was impossible to even step out the door because of the cloud of bees occupying the garden. However I have seen no such thing here in Germany. The bee club that I go to has a bee yard right by the club house and there are atleast 10 hives yet I don't even see 1 bee unless I go almost right up to the hives then I'll see the girls coming and going totally minding their own business. These well behaved bees have lifted my spirits and I no longer have the fear that my bees will make a pest of themselves when I set them up in my tiny little garden next year - in fact I might just go ahead and set up 2 hives instead of the planned 1. :D

Also I had a really good laugh when my mother told me of the convosation she had with the farmer at the farm stall right across from the gate of the bee club. She asked him if he was greatful for the bees from the bee club and he replied "they are all sick in the head, they don't even have any bees!" When she explained that her daughter (me) is a member of the club and that there are atleast 10 hives behind the fence he changed his tone a bit but it was still not very positive. She went on to explain that it is the bees from the club that are polinating his cherries and other fruits. I am glad that my mother had the chance to educate someone about the bees. Next year I'll give him a jar of honey from my hive!

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Re: Well behaved bees
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:17:27 pm »
Don't waste your honey on people like that.  People that don't appreciate bees won't appreciate the effort that went into that jar of honey.  Just let him buy the junk in the supermarkets.  After all, we're all sick in the head, anyways!  :lau: