Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chickens went outdoors on Wednesday  (Read 4415 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Chickens went outdoors on Wednesday
« on: June 13, 2008, 05:43:27 pm »
I posted this at BYC but wanted to share it with youse guys over here, too!

They're one week old today (this was on Wednesday).  It wasn't 100 out there, and the humidity was down, so I thought I'd bring them outside to the garden and see what they would do.  I have a raised bed out there with no dirt in it yet, a perfect playpen.  I covered one end with cardboard to give them some shade.

Here they all are in the laundry basket for transport:

They weren't quite sure what to do out there!

They enjoyed their water!

I brought them in after about 15 minutes, it was just too hot for them.

So here is a picture of one each of my five different types at one week:

Buff Orpington:

Rhode Island Red:

Golden Laced Wyandotte:

Two of the Americaunas or Easter Eggers:

Barred Rock (this one was hard to photo, she's so dark the flash on the camera and the contrast was hard to control):

And this one is my favorite.  I've already named her.  She's Esmerelda, and she watches me closely all the time - she's not afraid, very curious, I know she's going to be my friendliest!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Chickens went outdoors on Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »
My daughter thought we should name our chickens things like

Alfredo
Cacciatore
Shake n Bake
Drum Stick
Pot Pie
Deep Fried
Oven Broiled

Now if I can come up with seven more names....
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:31:46 pm »
They are beautiful!  I'ts amazing how fast they grow, & how early they can fly with those little wings!  The aracauna/americana are so cool cause they are all so different in color! Rhodes/buffs & the others pretty much look alike, at least main color wise.  My favorite one is owl, an amaracna/aracauna, her face looked like a barn owls cause of the tufts, she has the fluffiest face tufts I have ever seen!! when she was very young & she would just stare up @ us.   Enjoy your babies, they are so cute!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:25:38 am »
Ann, you are that proud new mother, hee, hee.  Nice pictures and you ain't seen nuthin' yet, your gonna have the time of your life.

Jerry, come on, think of some more names, hee, hee, but just try and keep them all straight when they are all outside carousing around the chickenyard, hee, hee.  Beautiful day, enjoy our lives. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:45:31 pm »
My daughter thought we should name our chickens things like

Alfredo
Cacciatore
Shake n Bake
Drum Stick
Pot Pie
Deep Fried
Oven Broiled

Now if I can come up with seven more names....

I like that, now when it comes time to eat them you can say we're having Chicken Alfredo, Cacciatore, etc, tonight.  I keep telling my grandkids not to name their food, but they insist.  So I named the turkeys Thanksgiving and Christmas for when we'll eat them.

As for other names:
Giblets, noodle (as in Chicken N Noodle soup), Wishbone, Buffalo Wing, Stewer, Capon, Double breasted, and Nuggets.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:29:09 am »
Don't forget "Kentucky Fried" and "The Colonel."  I take it your daughter is not vegetarian.

Darn, I wish you hadn't posted these pix! They are so charming. The chicken exhibit at the State Fair has always been my favorite. Makes me want to get chicks. No, eri, you can't afford a chicken-sitter. Please post more when they are all grown up and fully feathered!
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 10:07:04 am »
And then there is kung pao

so we have;

kung pao
Giblets
noodle
Wishbone
Buffalo Wing
Stewer
Capon
Double breasted
Nuggets
Alfredo
Cacciatore
Shake n Bake
Drum Stick
Pot Pie
Deep Fried
Oven Broiled
Oven Baked (just added)
Kentucky Fried
The Colonel
Chicken Plank (Long John Silvers)

Any more?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:16:06 am »
Sweet 'n' Sour
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 10:22:42 am »
I know, it is funny how kids have different ideas about eating the Pets... One of my daughters is not quite sure about it. My four year old over heard me talking about eating the birds and she came running in screaming "dad, we cannot eat the chickies". I thought oh no here we go,,, to my surprise she puts her hands together and looks at me and says "first we have to rip their heads off and take off all their feathers, then we can eat them."
Now I can't wait until she gets old enough to help!!!! My 13 year old is a little to shy to help out now.
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"