Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how to quote  (Read 7219 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
how to quote
« on: November 05, 2007, 08:54:29 am »
I haven't quite got the knack of how I see other forum members can get the actual "post" topic to be embedded in their replies.  Don't know if that makes any sense.  But does anyone know how to do this?

When in doubt, use the help function.  It most likely explains it clearer than having multiple people giving their interpretation.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?action=help;page=post#quote
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?action=help;page=post#bbcref
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
how to quote
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 09:14:37 am »
True, Robo, but sometimes help isn't much help when it gets technical.  KISS is usually a good option, too  ;)  Not only that, but Cindi was trying to insert a quote found in a search - in which case the quote tags are the only option available.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
how to quote
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 10:07:17 am »
Ann and Rob, I don't think either of you understood what my question was about how to get, for example, an old post embedded in a reply or a new topic.  I thought about how to do this over and over, and thank you Ann for your input and Rob you too.  (by the way the help is a pretty good helper). But I had to do things my way and figure it out.

Ann, I still can't quite figure out what you are talking about, please understand I need EXPLICIT instructions with many things.  Do you actually type the actual words "quote" with the text inside it or something?  Don't get it, sorry  :( :) :roll: :roll:

For any forum members who may want to do what I wanted to do, this is what I did.  Maybe it will be understood what I wanted to do before.

Every post has a topic # that appears in the toolbar at the topic of the screen.  HOw I got the old post to be embedded in my post was to copy the data that appears in the little white window at the top.

I have real difficulty with explaining and using the correct words when referring to computer type stuff, so please ignore the way that I describe stuff, it is what I need to do.

Anyways, I have an old topic that BEE C put in about the polypores that was really interesting, it is cited below:  In the body of the post the copied information will appear as regular typing, but if you preview it the typing will turn blue (as it is when the post is sent on the forum)

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=7426.msg46566#msg46566

Well, that was quite a learning experience here for me.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
how to quote
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:40:17 am »
No disagreement here Ann.  I don't think it could be more KISS than what is shown in the Help (no need to ignore spaces or other syntax changes that are need when trying to show commands without actually having the command activate)

Cindi,  the third column is what you type, the forth column is what is displayed.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
how to quote
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 10:49:25 am »
Rob, thank you for clarifying.  I modified my previous post because when I typed the words "quote" "quote" the text turned blue and was turned into a "quote", I see that and I think I am getting it now.  Hee, hee, sometimes takes me a little bit, but I get there.  So, upwards and onwards, new learning....have a wonderful and beautiful day on our greatest place, Earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
how to quote
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 11:47:04 pm »
True, Robo, but sometimes help isn't much help when it gets technical.  KISS is usually a good option, too    Not only that, but Cindi was trying to insert a quote found in a search - in which case the quote tags are the only option available.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
how to quote
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 11:49:07 pm »
True, Robo, but sometimes help isn't much help when it gets technical.  KISS is usually a good option, too  ;)  Not only that, but Cindi was trying to insert a quote found in a search - in which case the quote tags are the only option available.
          :lol:

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
how to quote
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 11:53:39 pm »
so thats how you do it :) learning every day -some day I will find second gear  :-D RDY-B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
how to quote
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 12:07:46 am »
so thats how you do it Smiley learning every day -some day I will find second gear  grin RDY-B

So, you are experimenting RDY-B, me too, hee, hee!!!  I see the smiley face and grin face pictures didn't show up when I quoted you.  Go figure, eh.  Have a wonderful and great day, life is so full of learning, eh?  Cindi

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
how to quote
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 10:13:04 am »
Cindi,

If you want to quote this message you click on that little thing up there in the upper right hand corner of this message box. It looks like a little square thing with "Quote" written right beside it. When you click on it, this will all show up as if you clicked on the reply button. And all this I wrote will show up there. Then you ad your comments below the [ quote ] so your message doesn't get included in the quote. (Yep seen it happen)
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
how to quote
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 10:41:12 am »
Jerry, thanks so much for taking the time to explain to me this stuff, I do appreciate these things.  I did know that, but I was talking about quoting a different post than the one that is directly prior.

I have the full understanding now (I think).  So.....if you want to quote some part of another post you copy that post body, type in the word [ quote] like Ann did, I had to put in a space or it would have come up as a quote and then to end the quote you type in [ /quote] (again I had to put in a space before the q so a quote did not come up.  That is the best of my understanding, it actually works.  Watch:

Jerry, thanks so much for taking the time.  I did know that, but I was talking about quoting a different post than the one that is directly prior

If you want to see what your post looks like prior to posting, push the preview button and the "quoted" stuff will show up as a "quote", yeah!!!!!

I think I am getting smarter, hee hee,  ;) :)  Have a wonderful and greatest of days.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: how to quote
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 05:42:56 pm »
Bingo, Cindi, you've got it!  :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 06:09:51 am »
  bingo!
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 07:39:46 am »
  bingo!
JP, I've got to tell you, your avatar makes me smile every time I see it.  :lol:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 11:20:14 pm »
  bingo!
JP, I've got to tell you, your avatar makes me smile every time I see it.  :lol:
Reinbeau, I'm glad my avatar makes you smile. I always read your posts with interest, have a great day.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com