Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting ready for "Snowpocalypse"  (Read 1202 times)

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
Getting ready for "Snowpocalypse"
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:57:53 pm »
Actually not so worried about the snow, we get springs storms a lot in April in Colorado.  However, forecasted low on Tuesday night is in the single digits F.  THAT is unusual this time of year.  These hives have 4 or 5 frames of brood, fortunately they all have large populations....still, I am concerned about them.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: Getting ready for "Snowpocalypse"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 01:58:55 am »
Hopefully they'll cluster together around the brood. Wish you luck with them

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:18:45 am »

Offline tomofreno

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:00:24 am »
Looks like you have them fairly well protected, and with large clusters I would think they will do fine if they are generally healthy.  I think in such cold it is important to protect them from wind, as leaks and air movement in the hive would make it much more difficult for the cluster to maintain temperature.  I would wrap them good, except the entrance of course, which hopefully is down wind, and remove it after the storm if you are concerned with moisture buildup. But I live in an area of very low humidity (high desert) so never have to worry about (so don't know much about) moisture measurement. The moisture the bees produce evaporates away quickly here.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:12:02 pm »
We have four inches of snow on the ground and it was near single digits  last night.  Sure glad my bees are still wrapped for winter.  Hope it was enough.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:01:48 pm »
If they started to make drones, don't be surprised to see a lot of them being pulled out of the hives when it warms up. Happens every time we get a cold snap in the spring here. Drone brood is normally on the outer frames or down low so they abandon them to protect the worker brood.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything