Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hens and chicks combo troubles  (Read 3138 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Hens and chicks combo troubles
« on: December 20, 2008, 03:39:38 pm »
The family reunion is complete.  Seven eight week old chicks have been combined with five laying hens (one of whom hatched and raised the chicks.  Things have gone fairly well, but, the chicks have not been allowed,by the hens, to roost on the perch provided.  I added another perch and the hens claimed it for some reason, but the chicks do not seem to dare to roost on the other one.  They could actually all fit on one but obviously that is not going to happen.  The problem is the chicks go into the nesting boxes to "take cover" and get away from the hens and I do not want them leaving their deposits there where the eggs go :-x.  So, do you think the chicks will figure it out and eventually roost on a perch, and how could I encourage this to happen sooner?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Hens and chicks combo troubles
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 03:58:35 pm »
In my experience it's not unusual for 8 week chicks to still huddle on the ground.  Mine have always transistioned to roosting between 10-12 weeks, which is when I combine them with the older layers.  The situation will sort itself out over the next couple of weeks.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:15:32 pm »
  The situation will sort itself out over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I was concerned that if bad habits were allowed to continue it may be tougher to remedy later.  We will wait and see. 
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »
Don't worry, they huddle on the ground till they are ready, then one evening they will be on the perches all growed up! :-D  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:08:51 am »
I used to put boards in front of the nesting box's just before they came in for the night. It keeps them allot cleaner  :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 02:18:13 pm »
a little poop on the eggs is going to happen anyway.  i used to just keep a bail of straw by the coop and change it out when it got mashed and yucky.  seemed there were always one of two hens that couldn't keep things clean.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything