Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not In Practice after the winter  (Read 6686 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Not In Practice after the winter
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:57:13 pm »
Well, mt area has finally had a day above freezing. Up into low 50's in my apiary. It was cold, so I wanted to add some fondant as i know some hives were lite going into fall. Just coukldnt feed enough this year. Those that wree weak, died. Anyways, the bees were doing clenaisng flights. I suited up, but didnt want to smoke them since it will be freezing tomorrow. pooped the tops, added some fondant and closed. I got stung on hands about 10 times. Sort of e felt good. Now for the mistake part, being out of practice....

I forgot to take my wedding band off, now my finger is swollen and ring is stuck and making my finger purple :roll:
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
Re: Not In Practice after the winter
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:01:01 pm »
Thats a bummer. 

I got stung in the eye last year.  Lots of swelling about the eye.  i had a dinner party that night and my eye was swollen shut.  Bocce tournament before dinner.  Yeah, that didn't go to well. 
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:42:23 pm »
My girls were flying too - oh my goodness do I miss summer NOW! I only barely peeked in the top but I think the stores look good - not having anything to compare it to...

Sorry to hear about your stings! You had better try to get that ring off! Did you soap it up good and see if it would slip off? Liquid soap works best (I do give this advice from experience...)

- Jess

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:40:55 pm »
Careful you don't lose your finger...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 08:44:28 pm »
Got my first sting of the year on the back of the neck.Kinda nice really!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:48:42 pm »
Will probably go to my main beeyard tomorrow as it is warming up pretty good now. My ten hives at the house were all flying today everybody looked happy! Spring is right around the corner!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 11:39:07 pm »
Hey JP, it really doesn't get below 50 down there does it? I figured that your bees would just put on a sweater and keep on flying.

Dennis

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 11:42:08 pm »
Well, mt area has finally had a day above freezing. Up into low 50's in my apiary. It was cold, so I wanted to add some fondant as i know some hives were lite going into fall. Just coukldnt feed enough this year. Those that wree weak, died. Anyways, the bees were doing clenaisng flights. I suited up, but didnt want to smoke them since it will be freezing tomorrow. pooped the tops, added some fondant and closed. I got stung on hands about 10 times. Sort of e felt good. Now for the mistake part, being out of practice....

I forgot to take my wedding band off, now my finger is swollen and ring is stuck and making my finger purple :roll:

Careful with the finger. You may have to have the ring cut off.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 01:15:33 am »
Hey JP, it really doesn't get below 50 down there does it? I figured that your bees would just put on a sweater and keep on flying.

Dennis

We don't really have much of a winter, its literally like 4-6 weeks out of the year and within that time frame temps are extremely variable. We may get anywhere from 1-5 days where it is near freezing.

3 weeks ago we had ten days where our highs were near 70, then we had about 5 days where the highs were in the 50's, lows from 30's to low 40's.

On December 11, 2008 we had snow and three days later it was in the seventies, go figure!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 03:09:29 am »
Ugh, I am really worrying about his finger!

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 06:01:04 am »

I've seen you in action and I'm convinced that you LOOOOOOVE gettin" STUNG, Yeah!   :-D

Offline JayC

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 06:24:42 am »
I'm glad I read this.  I'll be getting started this spring and it never would have occurred to me to take my wedding ring off. 

A couple I know went for the titanium wedding rings.  It caused some problems later when he busted his finger, it swelled up and the usual ring cutters they use in the ER wouldn't do anything.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 10:33:53 am »
I almost lost a finger due to a hunting mishap when it was very muddy and I slipped as I was climbing up a tree. My wedding ring ripped the skin from the flesh, the finger had serious swelling and I could not remove the ring for three weeks. Then, I gained weight and could not get the ring back on even after it was resized.

...JP

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 12:15:37 pm »
It seems somewhat perverted when every one is happy getting stung !

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 12:34:17 pm »
I'm not happy when I get stung. Take me off the pervert list.  :)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 12:45:16 pm »
Finger is fine, swelling went down about two hrs later. Probably would have happend sooner if ring wasnt on. Yet another punishment for marriage :evil:

I dont like getting stung. Really, I dont. The bees really, really like stinging me. They do. My eyes in particular. But getting stung is inevitable, particularly since I wont wear protective gear in front of groups, the press, neighbors and friends. Cut-outs an exception! Bees are supposed to be gentle, so lets act like it.!
Now I do feel better after being stung. General aches and pains diminish, which always feels gooood.....

Good thing I wear my wedding ring on my middle finger!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 12:53:00 pm »
Got my first sting of the year on the back of the neck.Kinda nice really!!
The bee stings go a long ways relieving the other aches and pains,so yes it did feel kinda nice,nothing sadist about it! ;)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 02:09:35 pm »
Finger is fine, swelling went down about two hrs later. Probably would have happend sooner if ring wasnt on. Yet another punishment for marriage :evil:

I dont like getting stung. Really, I dont. The bees really, really like stinging me. They do. My eyes in particular. But getting stung is inevitable, particularly since I wont wear protective gear in front of groups, the press, neighbors and friends. Cut-outs an exception! Bees are supposed to be gentle, so lets act like it.!
Now I do feel better after being stung. General aches and pains diminish, which always feels gooood.....

Good thing I wear my wedding ring on my middle finger!

I may or may not wear protection in front of press, etc... I usually do however, at least wear a veil. I would rather have the protection on and not take a sting to the eye or worse, many stings to the face then get stung in front of people watching in horror as the beekeeper is stung.

Wearing a veil does not promote a bad image, just about everyone can relate to the beekeeper w/ veil image.

I am not trying to offend you Seth and if I do I apologize. I simply felt the need to point this out, and this is my opinion.

...JP

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 02:13:13 pm »
I used beekeeping as an excuse to stop wearing my ring years ago.  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 06:08:01 pm »
JP not offeneded at all. I said I try not to wear gear, but do if I have too. With the press, I usually open nucs. To them ist all bees. Always imprerssed if you dont wear gear

anything