Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hives dying, crumbled wax outside?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline ericthebee

• New Bee
Hives dying, crumbled wax outside?
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:22:31 pm »
I have been unable to open hives as raining cats and dogs and cool last couple of visits. I've been unwell and unable to do my usual fortnightly visits. I'm getting  crumbled up wax out the front of the hive and one hive a friend has told me is now dead. i will be inspecting them tomorrow. I could not see any ants at all, but it's in termite country and there are a few big 'bulk ant' nests around. could this be wasps?

would this be ants or something else ??
as It's mils from anywhere, I'd like to be prepared when I go to teat it, effect a solution  so any hints as to what it could be would be great. Three are 3 hives showing this  :-\

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hives dying, crumbled wax outside?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:29:13 pm »
ripped up wax at your time of the year sounds like robbing.  especially since it's in multiple hives.  one hive, and it might be something like a mouse...although those are more common in winter.

reduce entrance size to smallest and make sure there is not feed around that might be drawing yellowjacket, other bees, wasps, etc.  also check your hives for queens and make sure you feed them back up.  robbing can kill hives, it sure can kill queens, but it also reduces/eliminates stores.

let us know what you find.  pics if you want.  that always helps.

ask your friend if there are a lot of bees flying around and looking agitated.

if you find really weakened hive, you may need to consider either combining, or trying to overwinter in nucs.  don't know what your winter climate is or how close you are to winter?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:20:44 pm »
Ya, robbing out that honey.

Offline ericthebee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:43:26 am »
thanks for that, will check,  there were no agitated bee's, but a mouse could be it. 

We are a temperate climate at 700 m so cold winter with a few snows. (cold for australia)

anything