Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hived my packages today.  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Mook

• New Bee
Hived my packages today.
« on: March 25, 2014, 11:58:56 pm »
So I hived my first two packages today. Was kinda chilly here in NC(about 50).  Started one foundation less and one with wax foundation.  Got lucky and was only stung once right on the middle of my bum…stupid plumbers crack! What should I be looking for this week, they seem to both be taking feed, the foundation less hive was out flying much more than the other. First timer here any help would be nice :)

Mook

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
Re: Hived my packages today.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 12:39:16 am »
I'd leave them alone for 2 or 3 days then see if the queen has been released or if they are biting at the wire.
Installing a package in a foundationless hive to me is about the same as putting them in a wooden box and say'n here ya go.
I would have started them on some foundation then later remove it and let them build comb then on foundationless frames.
I am going to make a couple of my hives natural comb this year but will do it slowly.
Be sure to keep the feed to them for making wax takes a lot of energy.
If your hives are close together some of the bees may go to the stronger hive.
Just something to think about.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:10:21 am »
I would keep them fed, check em , and straighten the foundationless comb when noticed that it isn't straight.  Good luck to you and your bees.  Things will probably go fine for you, but you will worry.  It is an anxious time for a new beek.

Joe

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 02:19:39 am »
Check the foundationless hive every 2 or 3 days. It's easier to fit comb when it's brand new. It the hive is level, it shouldn't be much of a problem. If you hung your queen between the center frames, they'll more than likely start building the comb on the center frames.
 Once the two middle frames are more than 1/2 drawn and have larvae, and it's warm, pull an empty frame from one side of the box and put it in the middle. The bees will draw the frame pretty fast and with two drawn frames beside it, the odds are that it'll be straight as well.
 The following week, grab an empty frame from the other side of the box and do the same thing. It won't take long before you have a box full of nice, straight foundationless frames.

Offline Greg

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 01:58:29 pm »
First, get a belt.   :-P
Then feed, feed, feed.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:22:19 pm »
Not sure how many frames you have in the hives with the queen cage in. I would think -1. As said check to see if the queen is released in 3 days and remove the cage and get your frames right. If not they will draw bur comb around the cage and in the uneven gap. I am not foundationless but I could see this getting them off to a bad start.
John 3:16

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 05:49:04 pm »
Hi Mook...I just did my first hive last Sunday. I checked on it Wednesday...3 days later...and the queen was released and I got the queen cage out. I did not use smoke since I was cool and I worked fast. I did not get any stings...but then I was wearing a belt...

Question Mook...Are you going to treat with fumagillan, (spelling?), for nosema? I did not and was wondering.
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Offline Mook

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 11:48:46 pm »
well I checked on the hives and the queens are on the loose.  The hive with foundation had a little bit of comb being built and the foundation less had no comb built but the bees were hanging nicely from my starter wedge in the frames.  There was a little bit of burr comb in the foundation less hive.  It was chilly the first couple days here.  The foundation less hive has taken about a quart of 1-1 syrup so far and the hive with foundation a little less.  As far as treatments go, I do not plan on using any this year.  The girls have been out flying like crazy though. 

and i decided to purchase a new belt since the last one caused the butt sting!!