Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Tree Swarm trap suggestions.  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Stlnifr

• House Bee
Bee Tree Swarm trap suggestions.
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:18:41 pm »
I went and took a look at a bee tree in the river swamp today. I have permission to set swarm traps in the spring. The entrance to this hive is about 30 inches above ground and faces north west. It is in a spot where no one will bother the traps to my knowledge. It is on the side of a dirt road by a deer food plot and not easily seen. My questions is about trap placement in relation to the bee tree, I can get as close as needed to or as far away as needed too. I would like to set three traps. Any suggestion?

The bees are small and brown in color and I was able to get right up to the entrance with no interference from the bees.

Jesus Christ--The reason for the season!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bee Tree Swarm trap suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 07:00:09 pm »
Do you want to trap out the existing hive or just hope to catch a swarm?   If you are trapping out the hive, wait until spring and get them.   With just catching swarms you may not get any.   Swarm traps are placed anywhere from 100 feet to 1000 feet from the hive and 10 or so high.

Offline Stlnifr

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 07:01:56 pm »
I just want to try to catch a swarm off this bee tree.
Jesus Christ--The reason for the season!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:06:32 pm »
Go ahead and buy some swarm lure to place in them to increase the chances of getting a swarm.   Have the traps in place by march.   Here (North Georgia)  we can see the first swarms by the 2nd week of march. 

anything