Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: blocking off entrance/transporting hives at night  (Read 4405 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
blocking off entrance/transporting hives at night
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:47:37 pm »
i am going to move my location. in the past (last summer) i placed window screen at the entrance. do you see a problem with using a 1x4 cut to length and placed in front of the entrance instead of the window screen? only going 9 Miles down the road and its been cool at night here in NJ..

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: blocking off entrance/transporting hives at night
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:32:43 pm »
Keep the time down to a minimum.   I have used tape to cover the front before, but only for a short time.

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:08:25 pm »
if you have screened bottom boards you won't have any problem.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:17:21 pm »
If you're actually moving them in darkness you don't really need to close them up at all. Smoke the snot out of them, load 'em and transport. Smoke them again when you get there (5-6 good strong puffs in the entrance) and place them where you want them. You may lose just a few bees this way but not many.

If you're moving them during daylight screen them in the night before and move them the next day. You may lose just a few bees this way but not many.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:33:42 pm »
from what I read if moving at night you dont need to block entrances, like said above smoke the bees load them and haul them.  What I read said once moving the air flow blowing in entrances and vibration of the moving vehicle or whatever keeps the bees in the colonies. 

Otherwise, why not just screen the entrances quick, it dont take that long if you cut them ahead of time, stuff em in quick, load and go.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:47:06 pm »
i move them all the time at nite and never close them up if it is hot and they get to bearding just spray them with water and they will cool down and go back in
to bee or not to bee

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:23:23 pm »
When we move bees we just stick a shop rag in the entrance.  After the bees have settled down from the move it gets pulled out.  The material doesn't matter at all.  They're not going to run out of air any time soon.
Make Mead!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:09:19 pm »
The worse and most stings I have received was when I helped two guys move a hive at night. All I did was hold the light. They at our butts up!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:38:16 pm »
Next time use a red light ;)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 08:44:17 pm »
Next time, you hold the gun, get someone else to hold the light.    :-D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:31 pm »
What I read said once moving the air flow blowing in entrances and vibration of the moving vehicle or whatever keeps the bees in the colonies. 

Putting them with entrances facing each other also helps.   They tend to want to stay in their entrance to protect it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:40:11 am »
It's my luck that I'll get a flat or the truck will break down when I'm not prepared.  If I have the farm jack and the spare aired up and with me I will not have a flat.  The time I think that it's a short trip and I can get by without the spare and the jack, guess what?  That's the day I get a flat.

In that spirit I always put a closure on the hive when moving it.  I have plenty of them around for such an occasion.

If you're wondering, yes, I was a boy scout... :)

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 08:49:17 am »
for short moves and or when it is cool I use #8 hardware cloth. Cut a strip as long as the entrance and about 3" wide, fold into an "L" shape and push into the entrance, don't even need a staple. Can be used over many times before you loose them.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 01:04:03 pm »
For short (90 miles) moves at night I have always left them open. Load them about 2 am and get there before daylight, set them up and leave for home.

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 03:55:57 pm »
I use a piece of foam cushion cut into a small strip,cram it in the entrance with a hive tool.bees cant sting it and it is reuseable.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2024, 09:17:32 am »
The worse and most stings I have received was when I helped two guys move a hive at night. All I did was hold the light. They at our butts up!

Steve

This is an older post but I couldn?t help but smile at your reply asprince. Thanks for the smile.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything