Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello for Southwest PA  (Read 1867 times)

Offline jcrocket

• New Bee
Hello for Southwest PA
« on: July 09, 2008, 11:49:58 am »
Hello all--

I'm a beekeeper here in the very southwesternmost corner of Pennsylvania, USA. Been keeping bees for about 10 years. Currently I am, alas, down to a mere 4 hives. Left to drive truck for a couple of years and couldn't keep the business going.

But I'm back now and getting ready to do splits, then next year buy a few packages with a goal to get up to 50 hives in about 2 year's time. That will be more than enough for me to manage. I've had over 20 and that was plenty of humping, thank you very much.

I'm on the verge of an insane maneuver: quitting my day job and going beekeeper. It'll be risky, but fortunately I have other income sources on the property--maple sugaring for one, goats and chickens as well. But honey sells! (And so do maple syrup and eggs!)

To do all of this well and properly requires a lot of time and attention. I need to be able to attend meetings and conventions and take classes--ultimately I'd like to shoot for Master Beekeeper certification through the Easter Apicultural Society (Anyone out there done that who can give me some clues as to what I'm in for? Saw the EAS website on it--wow! It's a PhD in Beekeeping!)

Even though I've been keeping bees for 10 years, there's still so much I don't know it astounds me.

I probably won't have much to say on this forum. Might ask a few questions, but generally I'll just be reading and learning.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Hello for Southwest PA
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:36:54 pm »
good luck with your path

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello for Southwest PA
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:29:35 pm »
Jcrocket.  Welcome to our forum.  You have great aspirations, and that great beekeeper you will become, certified Beemaster, cool.  There will always be learning to do with the bees.  I have taken courses upon courses, attended a beemasters short course at our local university, and I know I am still upon the very tip of that iceberg.  I love to learn about the bees.  You also have that passion for learning, cool.  Your intro was nice, you told us lots about yourself.  You say that you will mostly be reading.  You may surprise yourself, you may be  telling us your tales and experiences.  It is wonderful to be able to tell stories to other people that are interested, and we are, we are a nosey crew (hee, hee, yes, that is true!!! and there are some that are more nosey than I am, not to mention any names,  ;) :) :) :)  Stick around, make new friends here, it is time well worth spending.  AND....have that most beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service