Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Requeened yesterday  (Read 4698 times)

Anonymous

Requeened yesterday
« on: August 15, 2004, 10:19:13 am »
Did a requeening yesterday of a forth hive full of drone cells, good laying patteren.
Took the hive out about 50 yards from the bee yard, sprayed each frame down with vanilla, then shook all the bees off into the grass. Then that cleaned off frame was installed into a new hive at the old location.
Seems that if there is either a queen Or (i'm told) laying worker they can't fly back to the hive. the vanilla is in case the house bees find the wrong hive they are excepted at an near by one as they have no hive scent.

OH YA!!! found out the importance of cuffing up the pant legs tight. Is odd feeling a bee crawling on the inside of your thigh under your jeans. Makes for much nervousness till you know you have ended that life.

:D Al

Offline latebee

• House Bee
requeening
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 01:31:45 pm »
Trailtwister---------
            How many of the  bees actually returned to the old hive location,and also I wonder if you returned all the frames or just one, :?:  to the new hive. Sounds like a good idea if the queen can't be found.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Requeened yesterday
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 03:01:27 pm »
Quote from: trail twister
Did a requeening yesterday of a forth hive full of drone cells, good laying patteren.
Took the hive out about 50 yards from the bee yard,....

I did that 35 years ago...but

Nowadays I put into the hive first  frame full of larvas,  and perhas frame where from they are hacthing out. I wait that they began to raise queen cells.

Mostly it is uncopulated queen which lay done eggs.   So, those drone eggs are not a problem.

Or I put two hives together and the bees of healty hive indentify "wrong" queens.

But however, somettimes hives has been very stubborn and when they kill extra queen, it must owerwinter without queen. After winter usually I have weak colonies and I put together that weak ansd queenles.

Anonymous

Requeened yesterday
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 11:01:33 pm »
In each of the four requeenings we did Because of the hives being full of drone cells. Then not ever really finding a queen, we did it that way (see above) which was taught to us by a fellow who has been keeping bees for 45 years. He still has 40 hives he works each year plus the many nucs and swarms he gives to beginners and people who have hives they must destroy such as I had to.
After about two hours we walked out into the grass and saw a few bees but not many. At the hive where we installed all ten frames into a new deep (reasoning for the new deep was the old one sat on a table out in the grass with one person pulling the frames and spraying them down, another person shaking them and carrying them to the other deep) we had a huge log jam of bees coming and going. In 4 days when we checked and removed the empty queen cages all of the hives seemed as strong as before only a few more drones present but that will change soon. The near by hives didn't seem as though they picked up any of the sprayed down and shook off bees.

As a matter of fact we Collected honey suppers from the other colonies in the yard and kept stopping to watch the line of bees going out to the grassy area and more bees flying back like they were given directions or some thing.

Anonymous

Requeened yesterday
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 11:12:59 pm »
I might add that the first hive to have this happen to was one of mine and now three weeks latter it is hopping and is nearly as strong as my strongest. The second one we did this with is the strongest colony in that bee yard after two and a half weeks.
See the post strange things happening.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Requeened yesterday
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 01:58:54 pm »
Quote from: trail twister
, we did it that way (see above) which was taught to us by a fellow who has been keeping bees for 45 years.

OK, that method is known also in Finland more than I have nursed bees. In our bee forum we also discussed this this year.

But why I told my method? - You can do same thing with minor efforts. That old way is very laborous.

Sory they way I told it

anything